Unity 8 Desktop Renamed To Lomiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You failed to read the current situation.

UBPorts project is a third party community that took over the sources of the Unity 8 project that was discarded by Canonical. It's fitting to give this project their own name as it is now their project.

Also to distance it from all the hate that usually (and rightfully) surrounds Canonical stuff.
    Rightfully has nothing to do in your comment. Unless you specify it's just your opinion.
    Last edited by Mez'; 02 March 2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      I'm sorry, but as much as I like the project and Unity 8, I really don't like the new name.
      Me neither. Doesn't ring well to my ears.

"I'm using Lomiri as a DE.": Just no, does not work at all for me.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
        Still a better desktop than Gnome 3.
        For your workflow (and mine), not for everyone's.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The hate is rightful, they always reinvent the wheel and always end up with sub-optimal half-ass solutions that they eventually drop.
          It's rightful FOR YOU.
          It's half ass FOR YOU. For me, Gnome is.

Really annoying these days to have every comment written as if it's the only truth that exists. It's not gonna give more power to your comment if you make it bigger than it is.
          Last edited by Mez'; 02 March 2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            For your workflow (and mine), not for everyone's.
            I was joking because when it came out, I was still on Gnome 2 and loving it. Unity was the world's shittiest desktop back then. It's now the 2nd worse, but Gnome 3 is complete shit all around.

I did okay with Gnome 3 when I used it about 2 years ago. I finally jumped when the desktop actually got nuked more recently. I hate the perf of Cinnamon so on my $2000 desktop, that's a no-go. Then I learned when trying KDE that is has the same "mouse assisted" window changing workflow with 5 minutes of config. And it's MUCH better in every area. KDE is Gnome 3 but without every shit part from the terrible menus to the terrible performance.

That is when I learned Gnome 3 devs are actually morons. Their code needs all thrown into the trash. What a terrible desktop. Literally would want a straight up window manager or single TTY terminal experience before a gnome 3 "fuck how you use a computer, keep your hands off the fucking mouse" desktop.

Gnome 3 is terrible and everyone who likes it has brain damage. And they don't have a lot of it to spare at all. Not only does using it sucks, it performs like shit too.

Comment

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm sick of idiots pretending their opinion can be extrapolated to the entire universe. You think it is dogshit, it does absolutely not mean it is or ever will be. Please have some respect for others' opinions.

Many people liked Unity and regret it, whether you want it or not. Period.
              Uh, no, I'm definitely right. Maybe you're bitter you tried to enjoy something that fundamentally didn't work? I don't know why else you'd have this tantrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Curious, but what software/hardware are you running that wayland is unstable for you in gnome? I've been using it daily at home for a while now on my Ryzen/rx580 in ubuntu, and on a haswell laptop in 19.10 at work as well.

The one thing that I'll fully admit needs work is remote desktop-style solutions and display casting over miracast for gnome in wayland. Not sure if that's on canonical or gnome for not having all of the stuff wired up and enabled.
                Sorry - when I've tried Wayland, it has been stable for me. But I'm guessing Canonical has found cases where it is unstable and decided to delay a switch to Wayland by default because of it. Either that, or they have a list of critical applications to users or enterprise customers or both that won't run with Wayland or XWayland, and they're waiting until those are all supported.

Either way, even though I'm impatient for Wayland I think it makes sense to be cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Uh, no, I'm definitely right. Maybe you're bitter you tried to enjoy something that fundamentally didn't work? I don't know why else you'd have this tantrum.
                  I'm sorry but you're just wrong.

Short version.
                  Many users like(d) Unity for their own workflow, and by that only I just completely dismantled your assertion.

Now for the long version.
                  I'm not bitter at Unity, I used it for 7 years and it is still the DE that offers the best workflow for my use. As it does/did for many other users that have expressed it. I personally regret it deeply (the Canonical version).
                  I'm using Gnome now, and I don't find it anywhere near as good for my workflow (even with 14 extensions). It doesn't mean I can call it dogshit. Even if it was dogshit for me, it isn't in general since plenty of users are happy with it. I have no right to generalize it as a fact in this context.

I respect that you don't find Unity fitted for your own use, there's plenty of choice out there and whatever suits you best, man. Contrary to you, I'm tolerant and I welcome choice if it can make everybody happy. Still, it doesn't mean the DE one uses is the best, it's the best for one or one's use. 2 completely different things.

This is why you are completely wrong in calling it dogshit as if you were expressing a fact. You're wrong in generalizing something from your own little opinion. Even if many others might share the same, it's still not enough to validate your assertion.

Many users like(d) Unity for their own workflow, as written above, and sure many didn't with every right not to (although sometimes just because they hate Canonical). By that 1st part only in the previous sentence I just proved it can't be extrapolated to an assertion such as yours, hence you're wrong, period. QED.

You can say "it's dogshit for me" or "I (personally) think it's dogshit" but you can't say "it's dogshit".

My tantrum comes from the feeling that everybody these days in comments sections is obsessed with winning the argument. And they're going full out with big assertions, catch phrases or twisted facts based on simple opinions, and generalizing or extrapolating these opinions as if they were facts, so they can absolutely win in a discussion. They try to convince others at all costs, including making their opinion bigger than what it is.
                  The thing is, there's no right or wrong or winning when expressing an opinion. It's just what it is, an opinion. Not a fact. Express it as such.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 02 March 2020, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry but you're just wrong.

Short version.
                    Many users like(d) Unity for their own workflow, and by that only I just completely dismantled your assertion.

Now for the long version.
                    I'm not bitter at Unity, I used it for 7 years and it is still the DE that offers the best workflow for my use. As it does/did for many other users that have expressed it. I personally regret it deeply (the Canonical version).
                    I'm using Gnome now, and I don't find it anywhere near as good for my workflow (even with 14 extensions). It doesn't mean I can call it dogshit. Even if it was dogshit for me, it isn't in general since plenty of users are happy with it. I have no right to generalize it as a fact in this context.

I respect that you don't find Unity fitted for your own use, there's plenty of choice out there and whatever suits you best, man. Contrary to you, I'm tolerant and I welcome choice if it can make everybody happy. Still, it doesn't mean the DE one uses is the best, it's the best for one or one's use. 2 completely different things.

This is why you are completely wrong in calling it dogshit as if you were expressing a fact. You're wrong in generalizing something from your own little opinion. Even if many others might share the same, it's still not enough to validate your assertion.

Many users like(d) Unity for their own workflow, as written above, and sure many didn't with every right not to (although sometimes just because they hate Canonical). By that 1st part only in the previous sentence I just proved it can't be extrapolated to an assertion such as yours, hence you're wrong, period. QED.

You can say "it's dogshit for me" or "I (personally) think it's dogshit" but you can't say "it's dogshit".
                    That's definitely way too many words for "I disagree with you"

I'm really getting some embittered vibes here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

That's definitely way too many words for "I disagree with you"

I'm really getting some embittered vibes here.
                      Well you clearly didn't read it then because that wasn't what those words were telling you.

Comment

Working...
                      X