Unity 8 Desktop Renamed To Lomiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    The hate is rightful, they always reinvent the wheel and always end up with sub-optimal half-ass solutions that they eventually drop.
    Is hate rightful? Did they harm you/them/haters?

It's quite a disappointing for sure, that Canonical decided to create another solution (ending to be sub-optimal), instead of helping existing GNOME 3, which would be win-win-win for Canonical/gnome/users. GNOME 3 would have more resources for development, Canonical/Ubuntu would have supported (by others) and established DE, and users would benefit from better support too. However, In the end, they went with GNOME 3 and some custom modifications,... Though, I don't know much of history, maybe relations between Canonical and GNOME devs were bad, and initial ideology of GNOME 3 wasn't so great/compatible with Canonical plans,..

And, it's a bit not nice, that Canonical tried to force it on users with Ubuntu,..

However,... Sometimes, sub-optimal and half-finished solutions can provide good experience and knowledge, which can be used to develop/contribute-to other mature project,... Sometimes, the journey of development is beneficial for future gain,...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      The hate is rightful, they always reinvent the wheel and always end up with sub-optimal half-ass solutions that they eventually drop.
      Sure. Hate is certainly a rational and proportional reaction to people following their own beliefs - whether they fail or succeed doing so

One ting Ubuntu people have going for them is their feisty, daring and positive attitude, even in the face of all all the hate they meet along the way. Some people here could really take a clue from them.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        However,... Sometimes, sub-optimal and half-finished solutions can provide good experience and knowledge, which can be used to develop/contribute-to other mature project,... Sometimes, the journey of development is beneficial for future gain,...
        Thank you for ending with this. I have expressed the same sentiment here in the past in my own way. I look at my own life, full of dead ends I had to give up on. But in reality so much knowledge and wisdom came from exploring those dead ends. To say it is/was nothing but a waste to me seems totally off. My opinion.

Comment

maybe relations between Canonical and GNOME devs were bad,
          Mark Shuttleworth called them the open source tea party.

So you could say that

Comment

Canonical made a big mistake to abandon Unity. Besides being the best desktop environment IMO it was also the signature of their philosophy and identity. Ofcourse it cost money to develop. They should have thought and planned according to their resources. Their mobile endeavor must have nearly bankrupt them.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              Canonical made a big mistake to abandon Unity. Besides being the best desktop environment IMO it was also the signature of their philosophy and identity. Ofcourse it cost money to develop. They should have thought and planned according to their resources. Their mobile endeavor must have nearly bankrupt them.
              The mistake was to focus on Mir, which was announced in 2013, years later after initial Wayland release,... They should have just joined forces with Wayland developers, and build Unity on top of Wayland (weston for start).

Also, mobile industry is quite different from desktop, from UX point of view. And, the market is already dominated by Android.

I believe, they could have done great job focusing only on Unity for desktop, based on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

(emphasis mine)

I'm going to assume that was a quick typo and not the outcome of the *next* name change
                Ha thx mate, well its also new for me. I will practice typing it over the weekend... ^^

Comment

Still a better desktop than Gnome 3.

Comment

I don't like it. I would go with Trojainous, every time.

Comment

Also, mobile industry is quite different from desktop, from UX point of view. And, the market is already dominated by Android.
                      The desktop UX was never intended to be the same as the phone UX, but if you are going to create a new Linux system for phones, there's no good reason to intentionally make it incompatible with desktop software.

Comment

Working...
                      X