X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    I'm sorry, but as much as I like the project and Unity 8, I really don't like the new name.
    Me neither. Doesn't ring well to my ears.

"I'm using Lomiri as a DE.": Just no, does not work at all for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You failed to read the current situation.

UBPorts project is a third party community that took over the sources of the Unity 8 project that was discarded by Canonical. It's fitting to give this project their own name as it is now their project.

Also to distance it from all the hate that usually (and rightfully) surrounds Canonical stuff.
    Rightfully has nothing to do in your comment. Unless you specify it's just your opinion.
    Last edited by Mez'; 02 March 2020, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
    Also glad they're distancing themselves away from the cursed name of "unity", since both early Unity desktops and the Unity engine are both complete and utter dogshit.
    Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I'm sick of idiots pretending their opinion can be extrapolated to the entire universe. You think it is dogshit, it does absolutely not mean it is or ever will be. Please have some respect for others' opinions.

Many people liked Unity and regret it, whether you want it or not. Period.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    Otherwise, yes, Unity itself didn't crash for me from 14.04 forward. Before then it was pretty messy. The good news is, Canonical seems to have learned its lesson - they keep postponing the Wayland rollout in LTS releases because they want to be certain it's rock solid, and not alienate users and customers. I want to use Wayland, but I want stability first and Wayland second.
    Curious, but what software/hardware are you running that wayland is unstable for you in gnome? I've been using it daily at home for a while now on my Ryzen/rx580 in ubuntu, and on a haswell laptop in 19.10 at work as well.

The one thing that I'll fully admit needs work is remote desktop-style solutions and display casting over miracast for gnome in wayland. Not sure if that's on canonical or gnome for not having all of the stuff wired up and enabled.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post

I never had that problem. tbf the lock screen is lightdm, not unity anyhow.
    Canonical switched Ubuntu from gdm to lightdm, so if you installed Unity you were potentially getting that bug. So though technically the bug wasn't in Unity itself, it was the reason I stopped using Unity on 14.04.

Otherwise, yes, Unity itself didn't crash for me from 14.04 forward. Before then it was pretty messy. The good news is, Canonical seems to have learned its lesson - they keep postponing the Wayland rollout in LTS releases because they want to be certain it's rock solid, and not alienate users and customers. I want to use Wayland, but I want stability first and Wayland second.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied

Not for me it wasn't. Even in 14.04, after about two days of continuous uptime the lock screen would stop responding to keyboard inputs. I would need to restart the display manager using one of the TTYs or from SSH, or restart the whole box.

That happened to me on a Dell laptop and on an AMD desktop. With 15.10 it was finally stable on both.
    I never had that problem. tbf the lock screen is lightdm, not unity anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post
    Actually Unity was rock solid from 14.04.
    Not for me it wasn't. Even in 14.04, after about two days of continuous uptime the lock screen would stop responding to keyboard inputs. I would need to restart the display manager using one of the TTYs or from SSH, or restart the whole box.

That happened to me on a Dell laptop and on an AMD desktop. With 15.10 it was finally stable on both.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    every time I tried it until 15.10. They pushed it out a full five years before it was stable enough to be production-ready. GNOME 2, MATE, and Xfce might have the aesthetic appeal of a McDonald's restaurant, but they have always been rock solid stable for me.
    Actually Unity was rock solid from 14.04.

Leave a comment:

• mos87
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    not like killing a software with a really bad name who nobody remembers
    Can't kill what's already dead

Leave a comment:

• Scellow
    replied
    I personally don't like the new name..

Leave a comment:

Working...