No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10.18 Released With Many Improvements Before GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One nice thing that could potentially come out of GIMP staying on GTK 2 for so long is that they might consider patching a Wayland backend into GTK 2 and then upstream could make a new GTK 2 minor release with only that change and bugfixes.

(I use a Wayland desktop, but still have some very nice GTK 2 apps that sadly have to run under Xwayland)

(I can dream)

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      One nice thing that could potentially come out of GIMP staying on GTK 2 for so long is that they might consider patching a Wayland backend into GTK 2 and then upstream could make a new GTK 2 minor release with only that change and bugfixes.

(I use a Wayland desktop, but still have some very nice GTK 2 apps that sadly have to run under Xwayland)

(I can dream)
      Adding a Wayland backend to GTK2 would be too much work for little gain.

Comment

One nice thing that could potentially come out of GIMP staying on GTK 2 for so long is that they might consider patching a Wayland backend into GTK 2
        Not gonna happen GTK devs don't even review patches for GTK2 anymore. That would be like asking Qt devs to include patches for Qt3 and release an update

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Some of the changes in this release are showstoppers for doing serious work involving multiple layers. People have been complaining about those for well over a decade. Can you see how fixing those is a big deal too?
          Yes, I can see that. However, adding more features before the transition is complete makes porting take longer and more difficult, so they should wait.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Why such a slow pace at migrating to GTK3? i don't understand. I mean, it has been more than a decade already, and it still isn't nearly complete. Stop adding new features and put all hands on completing the transision.
            Severely lack of manpower, and piled higher priority tasks. For example >8 bit images were not supported till 2.10 (released in 2018)

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
              Ugh, one more thing to disable to get a reasonable setup.

Soon, rather than plugins to make GIMP more like Photo$$$hop, there will be plugins to make GIMP more like what the original developers intended.
              Reality here neither Photoshop or GIMP today are how the original developers intended. The big thing GIMP is giving you the option to turn the UI changes off where Photoshop they change a UI feature and there is no off switch.

Comment

I personally love GIMP. Along with Firefox, GIMP has been one of the jewels of FOSS in general. The UI took quite a while to learn, along with some of the techniques but it is such a flexible tool that I have used is in everything from web development to construction drawing markup.

It is one of the best PDF editors out there for "graphical" pdfs.

Comment

(I can dream)
                  Weird. We are talking about graphical creation software which just had a new release with new interesting features, and what people are most interested in is... which specific version of a graphical library does it use?! And one wonders why Linux can't take off on the desktop...

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Weird. We are talking about graphical creation software which just had a new release with new interesting features, and what people are most interested in is... which specific version of a graphical library does it use?! And one wonders why Linux can't take off on the desktop...
                    And another one was just asking to stop implementing features we can expect from a graphical editor… to focus on implementing this or that graphical library instead… 🤦

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      This is because it open source and we can openly see the toolkit it using so you can make your question simpler. This is basically a difference in transparency.

With Photoshop you would see users asking if a long list of particular crashes and issues are fixed and if you knew Qt library you would know they were all a particular version of Qt library to blame for the problems that adobe photoshop uses but you cannot ask Adobe when they will be porting to a new version of Qt so you have to ask them indirectly.

People know while Gimp is still using gtk2 it will have particular operational limits/bugs because of gtk2 so asking when they will be at gtk3 is simpler than asking for like when will the 100+ different limitations individually caused by gtk2 will be fixed.

See its a transparency difference.

Its a common garbage anti open source arguement that people are spending time asking questions about toolkit instead of program so there has to be something wrong because the people must not by their stupid logic be interested in the program. Reality people asking about the toolkit open source program uses and when it going to be updated avoids having to ask 100+ different questions if particular stability issues are fixed or not. People would not be interested in the toolkit the open source program is using if they are not wanting to use the program in most cases.

Basically jacob you reading the questions about graphical toolkit program is using with the wrong logic. You are not seeing that asking questions about toolkit and linking faults to toolkit reduces the number of answers project has to give.

Open source program where the is no secrets on what parts were used to make it toolkit questions make sense. Just the nature of the beast.

Comment

Working...
                      X