GIMP 2.10.18 Released With Many Improvements Before GIMP 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This is because it open source and we can openly see the toolkit it using so you can make your question simpler. This is basically a difference in transparency.

With Photoshop you would see users asking if a long list of particular crashes and issues are fixed and if you knew Qt library you would know they were all a particular version of Qt library to blame for the problems that adobe photoshop uses but you cannot ask Adobe when they will be porting to a new version of Qt so you have to ask them indirectly.

People know while Gimp is still using gtk2 it will have particular operational limits/bugs because of gtk2 so asking when they will be at gtk3 is simpler than asking for like when will the 100+ different limitations individually caused by gtk2 will be fixed.

See its a transparency difference.

Its a common garbage anti open source arguement that people are spending time asking questions about toolkit instead of program so there has to be something wrong because the people must not by their stupid logic be interested in the program. Reality people asking about the toolkit open source program uses and when it going to be updated avoids having to ask 100+ different questions if particular stability issues are fixed or not. People would not be interested in the toolkit the open source program is using if they are not wanting to use the program in most cases.

Basically jacob you reading the questions about graphical toolkit program is using with the wrong logic. You are not seeing that asking questions about toolkit and linking faults to toolkit reduces the number of answers project has to give.

Open source program where the is no secrets on what parts were used to make it toolkit questions make sense. Just the nature of the beast.
    GIMP has its issues (and so does Photoshop) but I don't know of any that a graphical artist would worry about that are caused by using GTK2. In particular I don't know of any GIMP crashes that are induced by GTK2. In fact I would bet that a large portion of what should be GIMP's target user base don't know what GTK is or what is the difference between GTK2 and GTK3 and, most importantly, they don't give a flick. See, what makes a graphical software great is having great features to edit pictures, not using this or that version of GTK.

Of course sooner or later GIMP will need to move to GTK3 (or 4), and it will be a good thing, among other reasons for Wayland compatibility. But to make it successful, it must understand the target users' concerns, not obsess about comparatively irrelevant implementation details.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

GIMP has its issues (and so does Photoshop) but I don't know of any that a graphical artist would worry about that are caused by using GTK2.
      Graphic tablets support issues that won't be fixed.

Lack of HiDPI support and the limitations of tricking GTK2 to working on HiDPI displays.

You can go to http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/e...18-full-review, scroll down to "What's coming in 2020" and read for more.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

Graphic tablets support issues that won't be fixed.

Lack of HiDPI support and the limitations of tricking GTK2 to working on HiDPI displays.

You can go to http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/e...18-full-review, scroll down to "What's coming in 2020" and read for more.
        Perhaps he/she has no clue you're one of the major developers for GIMP?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Perhaps he/she has no clue you're one of the major developers for GIMP?
          Um, to be fair, I'm not a developer. I barely ever write code The world is much safer that way

Comment

GIMP has its issues (and so does Photoshop) but I don't know of any that a graphical artist would worry about that are caused by using GTK2.
            Apparently you don't use GIMP with a graphics tablet with multi pressure and angle support. That you find krita works with and gimp does not. This is a GTK2 caused problem. Worse you use one of the cheaper graphics tablets gtk2 can completely crash under you. Fix to both of these for gimp is change to gtk3 or newer and then modify the code.

In particular I don't know of any GIMP crashes that are induced by GTK2.
            Really all I can think by this is that you have a budget that allows for watcom tablets all the time while tolerating that not all it functionality is working or you are a mouse only user. Graphics tablets causing issues due to gtk2 is not the only speciality input that has issues with gtk2. There is stuff that was added in gtk3 for input process that gtk2 just does not have.

In fact I would bet that a large portion of what should be GIMP's target user base don't know what GTK is or what is the difference between GTK2 and GTK3 and, most importantly, they don't give a flick.
            This is more wrong than you would think.

See, what makes a graphical software great is having great features to edit pictures, not using this or that version of GTK.
            This gets really more wrong.

Part of making a good graphical software application is supporting plugins to allow the software to be customised to suite different party workflow. So GTK is a feature of the plugin system of GIMP.

Basically GTK of gimp is a feature that your plugins/macros can use the same toolkit and the same theme as main program so not jarring when using a third party plugin. So yes early notice to those depending on third party plugins that gtk2->gtk3 change is coming is important so the integration can be kept good. Gimp users are more aware of GTK version due to plugins listing GTK version in requirements more often than GIMP version in requirements.

Basically your complete arguement against talking about gtk with a graphical application is you being clueless on how it used and why users power users of gimp would be highly aware of it. Really GIMP release notes talking about GTK+ is no different to MS Office release notes talking about VBA stuff both are really important features to power users of the programs.

Comment

Working...
            X