Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.10.18 Released With Many Improvements Before GIMP 3.0

Phoronix: GIMP 2.10.18 Released With Many Improvements Before GIMP 3.0

While GIMP 3.0 remains elusive as the long overdue GTK3 port of this leading open-source image manipulation program, the GIMP 2.10 stable series continues seeing a lot of decent improvements in their subsequent point releases. GIMP 2.10.18 is out today following a botched GIMP 2.10.16 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point I could see someone making a GEGL Shop since image functions are modular and seperate divorcing the UI from the image functions.

Comment

• Tools are now grouped in the toolbox by default
      At last!

Comment

I think it's safe to bet that GTK4 will be out before GIMP is ported to GTK3.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          I think it's safe to bet that GTK4 will be out before GIMP is ported to GTK3.
          Maybe GIMP should skip GTK3 and go straight for GTK4.

Comment

• Tools are now grouped in the toolbox by default
            Ugh, one more thing to disable to get a reasonable setup.

Soon, rather than plugins to make GIMP more like Photo$$$hop, there will be plugins to make GIMP more like what the original developers intended.

Comment

Why such a slow pace at migrating to GTK3? i don't understand. I mean, it has been more than a decade already, and it still isn't nearly complete. Stop adding new features and put all hands on completing the transision.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Why such a slow pace at migrating to GTK3? i don't understand. I mean, it has been more than a decade already, and it still isn't nearly complete. Stop adding new features and put all hands on completing the transision.
                Some of the changes in this release are showstoppers for doing serious work involving multiple layers. People have been complaining about those for well over a decade. Can you see how fixing those is a big deal too?

Comment

The toolbox have been regrouped so that the painting tools have buttons that group similar tools. I also just now noticed that you can enable single-window mode so you don't have the tool docks floating, also you can toggle their visibility with the tab key.
                  This release also includes a 3D transform tool.

This is a great release, I can't wait for GIMP 3.0 with new GTK support.

Please donate to GIMP. I would love to see some interns through some project like Google Summer of Code or GNOME Outreachy.

Comment

This version adds a lot of awesomeness! Can't wait to try it :3 Grouping tools + changes in slider are great to me as I like my toolbox to be as tiny as it can, so photos on my canvas can take more place

It needs hands to do that, even though devs try to focus on what users need, there are a LOT of needs, and not much devs on it (merely 3 devs are doing most of the work, and yet they achieve great improvements and even if transition is slow, it is happening, btw there is a branch with GTK3 that is already testable from source AFAIK)
                    Last edited by Ilphrin; 25 February 2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X