Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt Continues Squeezing More Performance Out Of GNOME 3.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

I see a lot of hate by some bystanders..
    Canonical is the company that have done most for the desktop advances and ideas of today, and yet, a lot of people criticize them..
    Amazing..

the way I see it, both canonical and red hat do a lot for the linux desktop, so I don't see the need to be a fanboy of one and a hater of the other. I like both, and it's great to see them both collaborating on gnome!

Comment

Wow guys, this thread fell off the rails pretty quick.

I think people need to accept that software isn’t perfect and can be improved almost continuously. Qt, Gnome or whatever, all go through generations of releases all of which get improved after release. If somebody finds an especially good improvement why wouldn’t he want to make sure people hear about it?

The QT people have been working on modernization to make better use of the latest C++ standard should we vilify them for trying to improve their code base. How about all those updates to Python or maybe FFMPEG?

this thread has turned into several pages of ignorant whining about who did what? Sad!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I don't think Canonical is claiming anything here. They are not the ones writing the articles, they are just submitting PRs.
        So
        https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/boost...tu-19-10/13095 has not been written by Canonical? Right....

Comment

I see a lot of hate by some bystanders..
          Canonical is the company that have done most for the desktop advances and ideas of today, and yet, a lot of people criticize them..
          Amazing..
          They did a lot of indoctrination as evident by your outlandish claims.

Had they done “most for the desktop” of anything, they would have most of the source code commits in those desktop projects. Canonical is neither a top contributor in Gnome, nor LibreOffice, nor Mesa, ....

When they write software for a change, it’s all CLAed, like Snap and Mir, and both are so bad, they don’t ship a desktop using Mir as default in their own OS (instead going with the Red Hat-written alternative) and just announced that their Snaps are so broken that they’ll revert to Deb packages for Calculator etc. for 20.04.

Canonical didn’t even write the first easy to use installer for Linux. Companies like Mandrake did that way earlier (those failed because of stupid business decisions like buying Connectiva, not because their software was bad).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Had they done “most for the desktop” of anything, they would have most of the source code commits in those desktop projects. Canonical is neither a top contributor in Gnome, nor LibreOffice, nor Mesa, ....
            Well, Gnome is only one project and its not Canonical related!
            Does RedHat contributed to Unity? or to mir, or to simplescan, or to geary, to to the zillion apps from canonical?

I don't think so.. so what you are saying is that RedHat is a bad player, because it doesn't contributed to mir, not unity, and others..

Comment

Well, Gnome is only one project and its not Canonical related!
              Does RedHat contributed to Unity? or to mir, or to simplescan, or to geary, to to the zillion apps from canonical?
              Canonical doesn't make a "zillion apps". Funny how you Canonical fanboys feel the to claim that applications made by 3rd parties such as Geary are made by Canonical.

Your first two examples, Unity and Mir, are of so shoddy quality, even Canonical dropped them.

I don't think so.. so what you are saying is that RedHat is a bad player, because it doesn't contributed to mir, not unity, and others..
              Canonical is bad because they require 3rd parties to sign a CLA that gives them the exclusive rights to make proprietary versions.

But yes, Red Hat employs an Upstart core developer.
              Obviously the whole of Upstart was so broken beyond all repair, Red Hat only used it as a wrapper for SysV scripts. And naturally even Canonical realized how crap their CLA code once again is that they've migrated to systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                But yes, Red Hat employs an Upstart core developer.
                Obviously the whole of Upstart was so broken beyond all repair, Red Hat only used it as a wrapper for SysV scripts. And naturally even Canonical realized how crap their CLA code once again is that they've migrated to systemd.
                Some of the things canonical dropped where, even today, better than the competition..

Comment

Some of the things canonical dropped where, even today, better than the competition..
                  Yeah, they were too good, right? That's why the self-appointed "most popular Linux distributor" dropped them. Of course. Makes total sense…

Comment

It is not clear what they are squeezing up when you see this result...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                      It is not clear what they are squeezing up when you see this result...
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe because of that, they will try to squeeze something out of it..

Comment

Working...
                      X