Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Saw Many Bug Fixes This Week From KWin Crashes To Plasma Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Wayland support still not ready, news from 2025:
    GNOME isn't much better, outside of some hardware configurations

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Wayland support still not ready, news from 2025:
      I use Plasma Wayland daily and it works pretty well. It's got some bugs, and in some cases major ones, but it has not crashed on me in a year now and with Plasma 5.18.1 I've not encountered any major issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

I use Plasma Wayland daily and it works pretty well. It's got some bugs, and in some cases major ones, but it has not crashed on me in a year now and with Plasma 5.18.1 I've not encountered any major issues.
        I can confirm that, on my AMD and Intel systems Plasma Wayland works great. Many bugs affect Gnome in the same way as they affect KDE, usually they are related to XWayland. For me the two main issues on Plasma Wayland is currently the subsurface issue and the not working copy & paste e.g. in Firefox Wayland. Other than that it works fine for me and I wouldn't want to switch back to X11 even if I do some gaming!

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
          > It is sad because in the GNOME side of things Wayland is super stable and fast these days, with only minor issues.

Not minor, since the short-lived Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME + Wayland experience, "the Ubuntu desktop has still been using the trusted X.Org Server session by default". "Canonical Reportedly Not Planning To Enable Wayland-By-Default For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS"
          Ironically, Canonicals modifications to GNOME make it more likely to crash and lag under Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            > You're giving examples of Ubuntu 17.10?

I wrote that since the short-lived Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME + Wayland experience, "the Ubuntu desktop has still been using the trusted X.Org Server session by default".

Nowadays, they are not using Wayland by default, they also won't in their next LTS release because of several problems (which for someone may be minor problems).
            I've not noticed any problems with GNOME Wayland for a long while now, to the extent that I recently couldn't remember whether I was using Xorg or Wayland and had to check for WAYLAND_DISPLAY in the environment!

Comment

I leave my desktop sessions logged in for months at a time (the average seems to be about two) and KWin has never failed to need a DISPLAY=:0 kwin --replace at least once during that time, so I'll stick with X.org until they've implemented a protocol to allow applications to recover from a compositor crash.

(And some good APIs to allow me to easily rewrite QuickTile and my time-tracking stuff as KWin plugins without writing a single line of C++ if they're not willing to offer privileged APIs to write them as separate applications.)

Comment

Ozone Chrome still does not launch in Plasma Wayland while it does fine on Gnome Wayland (and sometimes on Weston).

As far as Wayland functionality is concerned KDE is by far the slowest in getting its compositor to work properly with Wayland applications. At this rate it may very well take up to KDE 6 or even 7 before we see a functional Wayland desktop from them.

Comment

> KDE 6 or even 7

Again. It's like 10 years since KDE is a team of developers. It's like saying "Microsoft 11 or even 12" instead of "Windows 11 or even 12".

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Ozone Chrome still does not launch in Plasma Wayland while it does fine on Gnome Wayland (and sometimes on Weston).

As far as Wayland functionality is concerned KDE is by far the slowest in getting its compositor to work properly with Wayland applications. At this rate it may very well take up to KDE 6 or even 7 before we see a functional Wayland desktop from them.
                    You don't want to use Ozone Chrome on GNOME Wayland either, it's extremely buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                      I can confirm that, on my AMD and Intel systems Plasma Wayland works great.
                      Is "works great" include working keyboard layout indicator? Little thing that, you know, very important for many, many users.

Comment

Working...
                      X