Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Saw Many Bug Fixes This Week From KWin Crashes To Plasma Wayland Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Saw Many Bug Fixes This Week From KWin Crashes To Plasma Wayland Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Saw Many Bug Fixes This Week From KWin Crashes To Plasma Wayland Improvements

This week in particular saw a lot of fixes in the KDE space for a wide variety of bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plasma is receiving a fix where a maliciously-crafted network name could cause remote images to be displayed.
    This is what happens when you get too network-integrated without a principled use of something like newtypes (i.e. wrapper structs which the compiler will require explicit type conversion on) or language-integrated taint checking to guard against injection vulnerabilities.

It makes me wonder how scary Plan 9 would have gotten, had it taken off, when use of the Internet exploded, given its effort to integrate network access into the original UNIX "everything is part of the singly-rooted filesystem hierarchy" concept. Suddenly, anything that could result in access to attacker-determined paths could also result in access to remote network resources rather than needing to parlay that into remote code execution or access to the socket APIs through another means.

Comment

Since I'm using Silverblue and Silverblue uses Flats for package installs (outside of when you need something base-system critical and install it via rpm-ostree install), that Discover Flat Repo fix sounds damn handy.

So I scrolled down to the bottom of the page where I saw the Breeze Theme Evolution link.

The Breeze theme is great. But... it can be greater!
      Do y'all realize what happened? First they had to:

Make Breeze Great Again

And now they have to:

Keep Breeze Great

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

This is what happens when you get too network-integrated without a principled use of something like newtypes (i.e. wrapper structs which the compiler will require explicit type conversion on) or language-integrated taint checking to guard against injection vulnerabilities.

It makes me wonder how scary Plan 9 would have gotten, had it taken off, when use of the Internet exploded, given its effort to integrate network access into the original UNIX "everything is part of the singly-rooted filesystem hierarchy" concept. Suddenly, anything that could result in access to attacker-determined paths could also result in access to remote network resources rather than needing to parlay that into remote code execution or access to the socket APIs through another means.
        Sieg Zeon

Comment

Wayland support still not ready, news from 2025:
          KDE Saw Many Bug Fixes This Week From KWin Crashes To Plasma Wayland Improvements

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Wayland support still not ready, news from 2025:
            Wayland support will probably not be ready until KDE (i refuse to call it Plasma) 6. Qt 5 Wayland support isn't top notch either. It is sad because in the GNOME side of things Wayland is super stable and fast these days, with only minor issues.

Comment

> KDE (i refuse to call it Plasma) 6

KDE is the people that develops software like Plasma, KDE Frameworks, Kate, Dolphin, and a lot of other programs.

Comment

> It is sad because in the GNOME side of things Wayland is super stable and fast these days, with only minor issues.

Not minor, since the short-lived Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME + Wayland experience, "the Ubuntu desktop has still been using the trusted X.Org Server session by default". "Canonical Reportedly Not Planning To Enable Wayland-By-Default For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS"

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                  > It is sad because in the GNOME side of things Wayland is super stable and fast these days, with only minor issues.

Not minor, since the short-lived Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME + Wayland experience, "the Ubuntu desktop has still been using the trusted X.Org Server session by default". "Canonical Reportedly Not Planning To Enable Wayland-By-Default For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS"
                  You're giving examples of Ubuntu 17.10? Wayland is working well with Ubuntu 19.10. There are some issues like mouse cursor performance under some conditions.

Comment

> You're giving examples of Ubuntu 17.10?

I wrote that since the short-lived Ubuntu 17.10 GNOME + Wayland experience, "the Ubuntu desktop has still been using the trusted X.Org Server session by default".

Nowadays, they are not using Wayland by default, they also won't in their next LTS release because of several problems (which for someone may be minor problems).

Comment

Working...
                    X