Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PipeWire 0.3 Released With Redesigned Scheduling Code To Offer JACK2-Like Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any features added to PipeWire, but not adopted by GNOME will eventually get trashed and it will become another dumbed-down project with a thinly veiled DE bias, just like PackageKit, which is useless outside of GNOME.

Ever wondered why no other DE relies on it, and when they do, it's an applet like Plasma's Update Notifier?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      Any features added to PipeWire, but not adopted by GNOME will eventually get trashed and it will become another dumbed-down project with a thinly veiled DE bias, just like PackageKit, which is useless outside of GNOME.

Ever wondered why no other DE relies on it, and when they do, it's an applet like Plasma's Update Notifier?
      KDE Plasma's software center (Discover) is built on top of PackageKit. So is Elementary's AppCenter.

Comment

Does PipeWire support multi-user systems properly?
        More precise:
        Can multiple users use PipeWire to play multiple sound streams on one PC over one speaker/output device?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Edit: Never mind, I still am not going to replace my trusty JACK...
          what do you think "jack compatibility layer" means?

Comment

Originally posted by orangemanbad
            3) Who cares who prepared a patch if it's working and correct code?
            maybe reviewer/merger cares? if it isn't reviewed and isn't merged maybe it never will?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
              Would I be correct in thinking that not only Flatpak, but also Remote Desktop solutions on Wayland might benefit from Pipewire?
              Also screen sharing on video conference apps.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post
                I agree with you, Gnoem and gtk+/- libs are just an alternative that someone can use or cannot use.
                you have my permission, now you can use it too

Comment

Originally posted by QuImUfu View Post
                  Does PipeWire support multi-user systems properly?
                  More precise:
                  Can multiple users use PipeWire to play multiple sound streams on one PC over one speaker/output device?
                  so anyone can ssh in and record you via mic?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    so anyone can ssh in and record you via mic?
                    *I* want to e.g. ssh into my PC and play a Song/record over ssh and (more importantly) that both seats of my dual seat system have audio, no matter who logs in.
                    That is possible anyway (as long as the users are in the correct group), only ridiculously complicated, so i see no security concerns.
                    Proper (optional) isolation of users and fine-grained Permissions would be a plus, of curse.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I remember reading that this could allow no-copy low-cpu usage on OBS, but right now it would require root as there's no other way of getting the fb object.
                      Yeah... The only other way is with CAP_SYS_ADMIN but that's pretty much half-root...

I have read somebody tried making a solution which involves a CAP_SYS_ADMIN'd stub that grabs the file descriptor of the screen data and passes it to the OBS plugin, but I am not sure...

Comment

Working...
                      X