Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

GNOME Shell and Mutter saw a set of patches land today for GNOME 3.36 that have been around for a few months and deal with the tracking of software rendering and VNC usage where GNOME Shell should in turn disable animations to ease the rendering workload...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another nice one from GNOME, the default Linux desktop.

Nice contributions from Canonical, Red Hat, Endless.

It was my turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Another nice one from GNOME, the default Linux desktop.

Nice contributions from Canonical, Red Hat, Endless.

It was my turn.
      ...and I suppose it's my turn to be the other side of the exchange. Ahem...

"default Linux desktop" is a good moniker for GNOME. Unixy operating systems have a long tradition of having garbage defaults that you're supposed to change, reinvent, or monkey-patch. That's half of what the UNIX Hater's Handbook was about. Hell, Unixy OSes have a long tradition of the trashiest stuff being the stuff that big companies took a vested interest in.
      Last edited by ssokolow; 20 February 2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        "default Linux desktop" is a good moniker for GNOME. Unixy operating systems have a long tradition of having garbage defaults that you're supposed to change, reinvent, or monkey-patch. That's half of what the UNIX Hater's Handbook was about. Hell, Unixy OSes have a long tradition of the trashiest stuff being the stuff that big companies took a vested interest in.
        Sorry, but the best part of that book was the anti-foreword, written by Dennis Ritchie himself :-P

Comment

Originally posted by orangemanbad
          popcon probably isn't the best source, due to how the votes are counted. Polls are a more accurate representation of what people actually like and use voluntarily:Note Reddit's relatively higher GNOME usage. It figures that Redditards would use GNOME.

I seem to remember seeing a poll done by Fedora with similar results, but I can't find it.
          I'd be shocked if Fedora showed anything other than GNOME as the highest, given that it's regarded as the GNOME-reference distro.

Comment

popcon probably isn't the best source, due to how the votes are counted. Polls are a more accurate representation of what people actually like and use voluntarily:Note Reddit's relatively higher GNOME usage. It figures that Redditards would use GNOME.

I seem to remember seeing a poll done by Fedora with similar results, but I can't find it.
            Anecdotally, whenever it is I see people using a Linux desktop in the wild, it tends to be stock Ubuntu whatever - it's very easy to recognise. People don't even bother changing the background image, adding extra apps to the dock. Let alone experiment with other desktop environments.

Anecdote != data

Comment

I don't get why you talk at all about this…
              • Ubuntu comes with Gnome, probably the biggest Linux desktop distro out there
              • Fedora and the whole RedHat tree default to Gnome, if it comes to desktop at all

Just these 2 parts alone would make Gnome to *the* Linux desktop.

But then you have
              • for almost every distro an "official" Gnome respin
              • the most desktops are based on Gnome in some way
              • "nonfree-app" 3rd party support mostly targets Gnome
              So if you think there is something even close, you really have to provide some good sources.

Comment

He already did it. Default software doesn't mean more used software, if that were the case, Microsoft Explorer, or Edge, would be the most used web browsers.
                Last edited by Nth_man; 20 February 2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

r/kde: 40.7k members

r/gnome: 33.8k members

Comment

GNOME is an objectively bad desktop environment, used exclusively by brainlets.
                    then you should use it

Comment

Working...
                    X