Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

Phoronix: GNOME Shell + Mutter See Changes For Tracking Software Rendering, VNC To Toggle Animations

GNOME Shell and Mutter saw a set of patches land today for GNOME 3.36 that have been around for a few months and deal with the tracking of software rendering and VNC usage where GNOME Shell should in turn disable animations to ease the rendering workload...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...r-Software-Ani

Another nice one from GNOME, the default Linux desktop.

Nice contributions from Canonical, Red Hat, Endless.

It was my turn.

Comment

Just the usual Merge Fest just before final freeze kicks in

Best part is that Christian Hergert joined the party.
      https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1072

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        Another nice one from GNOME, the default Linux desktop.

Nice contributions from Canonical, Red Hat, Endless.

It was my turn.
        ...and I suppose it's my turn to be the other side of the exchange. Ahem...

"default Linux desktop" is a good moniker for GNOME. Unixy operating systems have a long tradition of having garbage defaults that you're supposed to change, reinvent, or monkey-patch. That's half of what the UNIX Hater's Handbook was about. Hell, Unixy OSes have a long tradition of the trashiest stuff being the stuff that big companies took a vested interest in.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 02-20-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          "default Linux desktop" is a good moniker for GNOME. Unixy operating systems have a long tradition of having garbage defaults that you're supposed to change, reinvent, or monkey-patch. That's half of what the UNIX Hater's Handbook was about. Hell, Unixy OSes have a long tradition of the trashiest stuff being the stuff that big companies took a vested interest in.
          Sorry, but the best part of that book was the anti-foreword, written by Dennis Ritchie himself :-P

Comment

orangemanbad Debian popcon stats are fully linkable.

Please share your source so we can verify. This is going to be super fun

Comment

Originally posted by orangemanbad
              popcon probably isn't the best source, due to how the votes are counted. Polls are a more accurate representation of what people actually like and use voluntarily:Note Reddit's relatively higher GNOME usage. It figures that Redditards would use GNOME.

I seem to remember seeing a poll done by Fedora with similar results, but I can't find it.
              I'd be shocked if Fedora showed anything other than GNOME as the highest, given that it's regarded as the GNOME-reference distro.

Comment

Popcon is so much better than obsolete, biased or low-sample sources like you provided. Here’s fresh popcons for you.

https://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.p...25m&beenhere=1
                Last edited by 144Hz; 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Britoid You probably right. RHEL/Centos deprecated KDE. Fedora plans to remove some test coverage on XFCE and KDE.

Comment

This popcon view was configured to show trends over years and only count regular usage. Minimum samples are 10000ish.

Comment

Working...
                    X