Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7 Continues Plumbing Its Vulkan Rendering Support

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7 Continues Plumbing Its Vulkan Rendering Support

Landing last November in the LibreOffice development code was Skia drawing support to replace Cairo and in turn that opens up for Vulkan rendering of this cross-platform, open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any word on the state of opencl?

Comment

It's getting to the point where between LO and Softmaker Office I no longer need MS Office 99% of the time to deal with formatting.

Comment

I don't care so much for Skia and Vulkan. I am more interested in usability improvements and better default templates so it will be easier to make things beautiful without putting in any effort.

Comment

I still have a horrible feeling this is going to fire up my dGPU in my laptop rather than using the iGPU which should be more than enough for an Office Suite

Comment

Waiting for the day when I'll use RADV_PERFSET=aco with my word processor.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I still have a horrible feeling this is going to fire up my dGPU in my laptop rather than using the iGPU which should be more than enough for an Office Suite
              Hopefully it won't be a problem, but if it is, there's an environment variable VK_ICD_FILENAMES you can launch an app with to only let it see certain Vulkan drivers in /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/

Comment

Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
                Waiting for the day when I'll use RADV_PERFSET=aco with my word processor.
                Great option :-) For now there is not much software that can use Vulkan directly, only mpv as far as I know.

Comment

Too bad my laptop, despite meeting AMD's listed hardware and driver requirements for Vulkan, simply refuses to create a Vulkan drawing context... even on Windows. This change will give me nothing at all, except likely bugs.

(Hey, it's fhe only OS it will boot from the hard drive without kernel commandline hacks. Stay the heck away from HP laptops, if you didn't already know that.)

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

Hopefully it won't be a problem, but if it is, there's an environment variable VK_ICD_FILENAMES you can launch an app with to only let it see certain Vulkan drivers in /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/
                    Yeah I know about that one, I use it to test Anv as well as Radv but for the number of users out there that won't even know their graphics card is firing up, they'll only be complaining about their batteries dying pretty quickly

Comment

Working...
                    X