Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Beta 2 Released With Initial Setup Parental Controls, Lock-Screen USB Disable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I want to reply to people above...because, honestly, between a few of y'all's posts, there is a "funny kernel" joke up there...I'm gonna stick to Gnome comments since I'm actually using it right now.

WTF is up with multimonitors on Gnome (3.34.4 - Fedora Silverblue 31)? Went to bed last night and had an episode of DS9 paused on Netflix on my main monitor (hdmi, 49" TV). Woke up this morning and the top bar switched to my 19" DVI 1400x900 monitor (that I normally rig vertical for typing crap). Netflix/Firefox stayed on the screen it was supposed to. Had to tweak the Display settings to fix it so we'll see if it stays fixed.

For a bug, when I moved my monitors around and clicked apply, the mouse froze in place where the Apply button was and a new one appeared on my big screen. Tried to take a screenshot but neither cursor was in it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      As much as I want to reply to people above...because, honestly, between a few of y'all's posts, there is a "funny kernel" joke up there...I'm gonna stick to Gnome comments since I'm actually using it right now.

WTF is up with multimonitors on Gnome (3.34.4 - Fedora Silverblue 31)? Went to bed last night and had an episode of DS9 paused on Netflix on my main monitor (hdmi, 49" TV). Woke up this morning and the top bar switched to my 19" DVI 1400x900 monitor (that I normally rig vertical for typing crap). Netflix/Firefox stayed on the screen it was supposed to. Had to tweak the Display settings to fix it so we'll see if it stays fixed.

For a bug, when I moved my monitors around and clicked apply, the mouse froze in place where the Apply button was and a new one appeared on my big screen. Tried to take a screenshot but neither cursor was in it.
      Now do Windows. KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, Mate. Exact same occasionally irrational behavior, some more frequently than others. At some point you have to look beyond the specific desktop environment as the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        A quick report on GNOME 3.35.91

Performance:
        Better than 3.34, most people wouldn’t notice

Lock Screen:
        Cool but you get used to it

Touchpad gestures:
        MAJOR improvement!
        Why were you so late to arrive in this topic? Normally you're the first person to reply!

Comment

I can't believe no one asked you yet, but where's the link to your bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Now do Windows. KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, Mate. Exact same occasionally irrational behavior, some more frequently than others. At some point you have to look beyond the specific desktop environment as the culprit.
            KDE hasn't done it to me in the past month-ish. Couldn't really say for anything else since I haven't used them with the same setup ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I can't believe no one asked you yet, but where's the link to your bug report?
              That is the bug report. I'm not enough of a Gnome user to even want to track down where to report it...plus it seems that going to the display settings and hitting apply fixed it. My assumption is that it was triggered by whatever Gnome's "auto-detect for defaults" uses and Gnome's "auto-detect for defaults" would fuck up somewhere in the locking, blanking/killing the displays, and restoring the displays and showing the lockscreen.

Honestly, I don't feel like reinstalling SB just to trigger that oddity because I haven't been able to trigger it again after explicitly setting my monitors up.

Comment

skeevy420 Tested on 3.35.91?
                Ran whatever version the Silverblue Rawhide pushed last night....but it was a horrible overall experience* so I installed Silverblue 31 and, outside of my usual Gnome complaints, it's a pretty fine system. Really digging the ostree/rpm-ostree commands and I'm 85% into "sudo rpm-ostree rebase kinoite:fedora/31/x86_64/kinoite". But I never ran it long enough for the lockscreen to even kick in. Firefox was really screwy. Too green to run Silverblue with a screwy browser, you know?

*That's to be expected from running software in a testing state so I don't want anyone to take that as me being overly negative.

Kind of dumb to run Rawhide as one's first Fedora/Red Hat install since the Red Hat/Fedora split. Yeah, the last time I ran anything from this family of distributions, Red Hat was still free and Fedora wasn't around.

Comment

That is the bug report. I'm not enough of a Gnome user to even want to track down where to report it...plus it seems that going to the display settings and hitting apply fixed it. My assumption is that it was triggered by whatever Gnome's "auto-detect for defaults" uses and Gnome's "auto-detect for defaults" would fuck up somewhere in the locking, blanking/killing the displays, and restoring the displays and showing the lockscreen.
                  Either that or you sleep-walked and loosened the cables or something.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

From the outreachy webstite "We expressly invite women (both cis and trans), trans men, and genderqueer people to apply."

We live in clown world. (Facepalm) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepa...alm_statue.jpg
                    Yes, they all meet here in this forum spreading outreachy fud

Comment

skeevy420 Why don’t you just build it yourself? Mutter and Shell is very easy to do because the CI tests on Fedora.

Btw 3.35.91 is already old now. I count at least 8 devs doing commits on Mutter and 5 devs doing commits on shell since 3.35.91 was tagged.
                      I probably could but it really isn't something I want to look into right now. I'm just getting into the feel of Silverblue and how it does things for the moment. Once I get a better hang of all that then I'll look into building packages on Fedora and going on from there. Baby steps and all that.

Really never been an RPM system user outside of a few failed attempts at various SUSEs over the past year or so (never did like how they use that build server and how they documented around that) so I'm really not all that comfortable with dnf/yum, needing -devel packages in general, etc.

The good thing is once I start trying stuff like that out I'll be able to leverage Silverblue's strengths and revert, revert, revert when I'm bound to mess something up. I know how trying stuff goes as a long time Arch/Manjaro user so it just makes sense to step it up and learn to leverage and use what SB offers.

Comment

Working...
                      X