Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated GTK 3.98 Puts GTK 4.0 One Step Closer

Phoronix: Belated GTK 3.98 Puts GTK 4.0 One Step Closer

The release of the long sought after GTK 4.0 is one step closer to finally becoming reality with the slightly delayed GTK 3.98 now being available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see more implicit animations so that the developer doesn't need to explicitly declare the usage of animations.

I would also love to see multi-cursor editing in GtkSourceView.

It is really nice with GTK4 that widgets are visible by default, so you don't have to call show_all() everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Cheers

Comment

So, how much time will it take after the official GTK 4.0 release in order to have Gnome 4.0?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          So, how much time will it take after the official GTK 4.0 release in order to have Gnome 4.0?
          I guess that'll depend on how much the toolkit has changed. If its purely evolutional then it shouldn't take too long. If a lot has changed under the covers gnome will have to change a lot of code to deal with those changes. That's also based on Gnome 4 being an evolution of Gnome 3. If they decide to revamp everything like the change from 2 -> 3 then it could take a very long time

Comment

The official story on GTK3 was that it broke left and right so that GTK4 will be stable and uneventful. And now 3.98 is both late and not feature complete. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              The official story on GTK3 was that it broke left and right
              Except GTK has not updateded its theming API for around 4/5 years (which AFAIK was the only think that had changed since GTK 3.0 - with big changes around 3.8 and around 3.20/3.22).

GTK 4 seems to have become a bigger task than previously envisioned.

Comment

At least years.

Comment

Funny, if GNOME 4 takes indeed many years to land, KDE Plasma 6 will be production-level stable by then....

Comment

Rather as long as it needs to be stable and base-feature-complete, than sooner. Gnome 3 was adopted by distributions before it was made to be well usable for daily productivity work, there were many issues. Similar scenario happened for KDE 4. When distributions adopted early versions of KDE 4, I had switched to gnome 2 from kde 3. When distributions adopted early versions of gnome 3, I had switched to XFCE (and probably many more people). So,.. Currently, I'm happy with gnome 3 (since maybe 3.20), and I wouldn't rush into anything else, as there's nothing missing from productivity perspective, now.

Comment

Working...
                    X