KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS Released After A Lot Of Polishing, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

There's no reason they couldn't have used any of the previous Plasma LTS releases over the years. At least with the 16.04, 18.04, and 20.04 releases...but their timings didn't quite align either...
    Kubuntu 18.04 is using KDE Plasma 5.12 LTS. Kubuntu 20.04 is already using Plasma 5.18 LTS. You are just spreading misinformation.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      Stop spreading bullshit, they have always put efforts into making the difference between Qt and GTK programs as little as possible.

But too bad the compositor fixes didn't make it into 5.18. There is still no alternative to kwin-lowlatency.
      Please wait, please wait, please wait. They changed a lot of things in 5.18 and there was a fair amount of refactoring around the client code in order to separate the X11 and Wayland codebases...

Plus I did not have time at all because I have been doing so many other things that I still need to test if KWin-lowlatency 5.18 even runs (I only got it to compile)...

So, please wait.

Comment

I wonder if I'll finally be able to auto-launch Plasma Wayland without it only covering the top 1/4 of my screen on my laptop, or my media centre machine

I tested it on a VM last week 5.17.5 and it launched on on a 1080x768 screen, but Plasma crashed when I tried closing Dolphin file manager

If this release becomes even remotely usable I'll start using it more often to squash remaining bugs

Comment

So that video is official?! That it was decided to put a stinky bug walking on a filthy keyboard, with actual grime under the keys, as an opening shot... is quite appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
            So that video is official?! That it was decided to put a stinky bug walking on a filthy keyboard, with actual grime under the keys, as an opening shot... is quite appalling.
            Yeah, well, Michael Bay doesn't work for KDE. Not even (pardon the expression) Uwe Boll.

Comment

The best Linux desktop keeps getting better and better!

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, well, Michael Bay doesn't work for KDE. Not even (pardon the expression) Uwe Boll.
                Then it would perhaps be best to not put out a video that deters users from using your product rather than enticing them.

Or just postpone it until enough volunteers show up to make it useful. As it stands, it also has other mistakes; for example, features are not explained much, everything passes too fast to process it for a newcomer (otherwise, who is the video for?), and there's no voice. Well, actually there is a voice, because there's also a distracting song, whereas every other technology video in history uses a simple and uplifting jingle, or emotionally evocative ambient music.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                  Indeed. It's disgusting. I don't mean bug, but this keyboard..

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                    The best Linux desktop keeps getting better and better!
                    Now you're beginning to sound like 144Hz. It may be the best DE for you and me, but that doesn't make it better for everybody.
                    At least you're not posting this in every Gnome thread

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Now you're beginning to sound like 144Hz. It may be the best DE for you and me, but that doesn't make it better for everybody.
                      At least you're not posting this in every Gnome thread
                      I use GNOME and I 100% agree with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X