KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS Released After A Lot Of Polishing, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS Released After A Lot Of Polishing, New Features

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS Released After A Lot Of Polishing, New Features

The KDE community has released Plasma 5.18 as the newest version of their desktop and a release that is also a long-term support release, succeeding the aging Plasma 5.12 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz
    Nice they now tolerate GTK.
    Stop spreading bullshit, they have always put efforts into making the difference between Qt and GTK programs as little as possible.

But too bad the compositor fixes didn't make it into 5.18. There is still no alternative to kwin-lowlatency.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      But too bad the compositor fixes didn't make it into 5.18. There is still no alternative to kwin-lowlatency.
      what compositor fixes? whats in store for us?

Comment

Fantastic ! I look forward to the arrival in Tumbleweed, Plasma usually passes QA tests easily, so if all goes well in a few days it will come.
        Since I switched to Plasma 5, about 2 years ago no major problems and Plasma has become my favorite DE.

Comment

This is release is too late for Kubuntu 20.04. So we'll get the usual LTS mismatch...
          Then again, I've switched to short term support Ubuntu's and the only thing that broke was the Android emulator, so maybe it'll be fine

Comment

If by too late you mean just landed in Focal this morning?

Comment

I am in love with Plasma Desktop. Recently starting using it full time after version 5.17 came out. Last time I used KDE in any length was 1.x back in 2000. Was forced to use GNOME after my profile got corrupted at my university, and the admin refused to fix it and told me to just use GNOME. This is my favorite desktop to use nowadays. Great job KDE team.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post
                This is release is too late for Kubuntu 20.04. So we'll get the usual LTS mismatch...
                Then again, I've switched to short term support Ubuntu's and the only thing that broke was the Android emulator, so maybe it'll be fine
                And it's already available in KDE Backports anyway, so you can use it with no problems. Yuhuuu!!

Comment

There's no reason they couldn't have used any of the previous Plasma LTS releases over the years. At least with the 16.04, 18.04, and 20.04 releases...but their timings didn't quite align either...

Comment

They already are using the beta for KDE Plasma 5.18 on the 20.04 daily releases ISO, why they will not adopt it when is released?

Unfortunately this this type of disinformation is the result of the endemic Canonical hate on the Linux community. People love to spread bullshit against every one of their distros.

Comment

Working...
                    X