MATE 1.24 Released For Letting GNOME 2 Continuation Live On In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I was there too. I used Gnome 1, Gnome 2, commercial paid Ximian Gnome, paid nautilus file manager, Sun's JDE version.. but when I see Mate now.. I just see a really old desktop that uses old desktop methodologies. Taskbars? Aplication lists? god.. noo Taskbars should no longer exist in a world with things like expose style being much more easy to use. And if I really wanted that old style I'd just use XFCE as it's better anyhow..

I do understand that a lot of people get very comfortable with that style.. but it'd be like wanting to use the Windows 3.1 interface because it was familiar.. no.. some things need to stay in the past. Gnome 3 has way faster workflow and ease of use if you can learn it get use to it.. and if not, there are a lot of other modern desktops out there too.
    That's a matter of opinion. What you consider faster others may consider to by an annoyance. Case in point -- the Activities hotcorner. Plasma has one too. First thing I do is disable them because they annoy me when watching crap on Netflix Prime -- move my mouse down and I get media controls, been like that for a long time, top right may have window controls, which leaves top left as a place to sling the mouse pointer towards and fucking Activities activates and it makes me wish I had assloads of money to go full on Jay and Silent Bob on Gnome Developers.

I'm content with using ALT+TAB to bring up all my windows when...well...I don't really need to because I use a desktop with a taskbar so I just click on the program bar on the taskbar because that's faster than hotcorners or ALT+TAB...

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I think installing extension or Nemo would be easier than changing desktop environment.
      Extensions (may) break and most people who want those kinds of features don't care for the overall workflow of Gnome so they'll end up with multiple programs and extensions to maintain their desktop.

If you've ever maintained a minimalist Fluxbox setup...it's like that only starting with a full blown desktop environment over just a window manager only.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Extensions (may) break and most people who want those kinds of features don't care for the overall workflow of Gnome so they'll end up with multiple programs and extensions to maintain their desktop.

If you've ever maintained a minimalist Fluxbox setup...it's like that only starting with a full blown desktop environment over just a window manager only.
        Desktop icons is official extension so it shouldn't break because it's maintained by GNOME developers. Flexibility of Linux environments is their advantage, not disadvantage. GNOME is not only Shell but also applications and whole infrastructure. If you want have they for some reason then why installing additional apps/extensions to change desktop workflow is such a big deal?

Comment

Anybody got a word on how far the wayland port of the mate panel has gone?

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
            What is the point of mate when xfce exists ? Fragmenting resources for no good reason
            What is the point of Xfce when Mate exists?
            Xfce is good, but releses every 10 years. Mate is also more complete.
            If you can make them work together, we would probably get better DE.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
              I do understand that a lot of people get very comfortable with that style.. but it'd be like wanting to use the Windows 3.1 interface because it was familiar.. no.. some things need to stay in the past. Gnome 3 has way faster workflow and ease of use if you can learn it get use to it.. and if not, there are a lot of other modern desktops out there too.
              The community wholeheartedly disagrees with your assessment. The presence of *three* separate active projects retaining the Gnome 2 UI (MATE, Cinnamon, Flashback) is evidence of a widespread and deep dissatisfaction with the Gnome 3 desktop model. You're right that there are a nice selection of desktops out there today, but Gnome 3 isn't one of them.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 11 February 2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
                I wonder why they decided to go with Gnome 2, instead of using Gnome Fallback (now Flashback), which, at the time, was already based on Gtk3.
                I find it esp. ironic because every article, people keep bashing TDE for not letting KDE 3 die, yet it's okay to let the equally old GNOME 2 live on...

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

I don't remember that at all. Maybe because I jumped ship to KDE right after GNOME 3 was released.
                  I do remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post

What is the point of Xfce when Mate exists?
                    Nice try, but it doesn't work that way 'cause Xfce has been around for much longer than MATE (not counting the GNOME 2 days).

But I agree that they should merge.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      The community wholeheartedly disagrees with your assessment. The presence of *three* separate active projects retaining the Gnome 2 UI (MATE, Cinnamon, Flashback) is evidence of a widespread and deep dissatisfaction with the Gnome 3 desktop model. You're right that there are a nice selection of desktops out there today, but Gnome 3 isn't one of them.
                      There are also two prominent KDE spinoffs: TDE and LiquidShell. But you wouldn't dare to say that that's because a lot of people are disappointed with Plasma, would you?

Comment

Working...
                      X