MATE 1.24 Released For Letting GNOME 2 Continuation Live On In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.24 Released For Letting GNOME 2 Continuation Live On In 2020

Phoronix: MATE 1.24 Released For Letting GNOME 2 Continuation Live On In 2020

For those still fond of the GNOME 2 desktop environment, the MATE Desktop Environment that's been living on as a continuation fork of GNOME2 is out with its version 1.24 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why they decided to go with Gnome 2, instead of using Gnome Fallback (now Flashback), which, at the time, was already based on Gtk3.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
      I wonder why they decided to go with Gnome 2, instead of using Gnome Fallback (now Flashback), which, at the time, was already based on Gtk3.
      GNOME Fallback/Flashback/Classic/whatever didn't exist in the early days of GNOME 3. Nobody expected they would implement it, but I suppose they were forced to because of the commercial distributions that have GNOME as the default desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
        GNOME Fallback/Flashback/Classic/whatever didn't exist in the early days of GNOME 3. Nobody expected they would implement it, but I suppose they were forced to because of the commercial distributions that have GNOME as the default desktop.
        Are you sure? I remember using Fallback from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

I don't believe this is true. It was available pretty early on and the enterprise distros ended up going with an extension based solution that doesn't use "flashback". AFAIK "Flashback" looks to be just metacity and gnome panel modified to work with gtk3.

I assumed the reason was because of the other gnome applications that changed or for compatibility with other libraries, such as compiz. Possibly it made more sense to fork everything.

Or perhaps the fork point was arbitrary and once people started working on it, there was no need to adopt "flashback".

Comment

Wasn't Fallback just GNOME 2..

nm, from the GNOME wiki

GNOME Flashback is a session for GNOME 3 which was initially called "GNOME Fallback", and shipped as a stand-alone session in Debian and Ubuntu. It provides a similar user experience to the GNOME 2.x series sessions. The differences to the MATE project is that GNOME Flashback uses GTK+ 3 and tries to follow the current GNOME development by integrating recent changes of the GNOME libraries. The development currently lags behind a little but a lot of progress has been made and most importantly many open bugs have been fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I don't believe this is true. It was available pretty early on and the enterprise distros ended up going with an extension based solution that doesn't use "flashback". AFAIK "Flashback" looks to be just metacity and gnome panel modified to work with gtk3.

I assumed the reason was because of the other gnome applications that changed or for compatibility with other libraries, such as compiz. Possibly it made more sense to fork everything.

Or perhaps the fork point was arbitrary and once people started working on it, there was no need to adopt "flashback".
              I don't remember that at all. Maybe because I jumped ship to KDE right after GNOME 3 was released.

Comment

The first sentence of this story should read "For those still fond of a sane and stable desktop environment". Seriously, F- that Gnome3 trash. I've jumped around between different Linux distros (been a desktop Linux user since 1996, Slackware w/ FVWM on 486!) but I won't even consider a distro unless they offer a MATE spin.
                Last edited by torsionbar28; 10 February 2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Even though I've settled now on KDE Plasma, I still have fond memories of MATE.
                  I'm glad that I've contributed with 40-50% of translations in my language for it when I was still using it.
                  Good health and good luck to MATE's developers!

Comment

Shouldn't eye of gnome be eye of mate?

Comment

Working...
                    X