Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenShot 2.5 Video Editor Brings Hardware Acceleration, SVG, Blender 2.8+ Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenShot 2.5 Video Editor Brings Hardware Acceleration, SVG, Blender 2.8+ Compatibility

Phoronix: OpenShot 2.5 Video Editor Brings Hardware Acceleration, SVG, Blender 2.8+ Compatibility

Out this Sunday is OpenShot 2.5 as the non-linear video editor's biggest release yet for this cross-platform, open-source solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Problem Number X: Rendering Pipeline still remains Software-Based (CPU)

Using the graphics card for rendering may pave the way for a 500x performance improvement, but no open-source video editor supports this (Kdenlive with Movit does not count).
    Last edited by tildearrow; 09 February 2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Problem Number Y: Hardware Encoders do not Perform Well when compared to Software ones (like x264)

Most hardware encoders do not implement all features of common video codecs, therefore reducing quality or requiring a higher bitrate to achieve the same quality provided by a software encoder. This sacrifice is done in order to allow higher encoding speeds.

This may come in handy for faster previews, or if rendering for eventual post-processing though.

Comment

CPU encoding means better quality compared to GPU encoding so for preview its maybe ok, but for the final rendering CPU is always better.
        And these days we have Ryzen/Threadripper with many many cores.

Comment

Does it not crash constantly yet?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Asking the real questions here. As much as I like OpenShot as a simple-yet-effective video editor every version I've tried is so crash prone that I had to look elsewhere. Not that KDEnlive has ever been stable, it crashes and corrupts projects too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
              CPU encoding means better quality compared to GPU encoding so for preview its maybe ok, but for the final rendering CPU is always better.
              And these days we have Ryzen/Threadripper with many many cores.
              I take it you are one of the many people, like the rest that posted in this thread up to now, that probably do not do all that much encoding at all or do not know how to read benchmarks.

Claim 1: Software based encoders produce better quality than hardware based encoders:

Reality: If you are talking very low bit rate AVC, then yes, encoders like x264 will beat qsv, nvenc or vce, if you use one of the slower presets, but I'm talking bit rates that no one actually uses in practice, for instance 10 Mb/s for 4096*1714. If you use the Net Flix standard 16 Mb/s you would be hard pressed to see the difference and QSV hevc is very good and beats x264 under most circumstances and comes close to x265's quality but way faster speeds and with enough bit rates you are not going to see the difference.

Claim 2: Many cores...blah blah blah.

Software encoders run into severe bottlenecks as the number of threads goes up:

Very interesting read about why software doesn't scale with higher core counts.

^^^Tests done by the people behind Handbrake, using a 22C/44T Xeon, take a look at the x265+medium 3840x1714 @ 10Mb/s encode at a speed of 14 fps; for comparison my i3 7100 2C/4T encodes a 4096*1714 @ 10Mb/s (the same test file as they used, just not cropped) using Handbrake+QSV HEVC+Ubuntu 19.10 at 25 fps and at normal bit rates you will not be able to tell the difference between the 2.

Pay attention to the x265 encode times and compare them against the QSV HEVC encode times.

I can tell you one thing, I have no intention of spending $4000 on a top of the line TR, $500 on a motherboard, hundreds more for ram, hundreds for a beefy power supply not to mention cooling, fans and a case for that monstrosity, when I can spend $150 buying an i5 9400 with a $50 motherboard and some cheap ram and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                Because of crashes I switched to Shotcut.

Comment

I also give my vote for openshot

if your looking for something with a bit more about openshot

Comment

Working...
                  X