Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.36 Is Looking To Be Another Nice Evolutionary Upgrade To The GNOME Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a really nice release. Both in form of user visible changes and for quality of the project moving forward.

Between other internal refactors that are now possible, it will also facilitate the introduction of an input thread in the native backend, so the pointer cursor is no longer frozen on stalls.
    This has been such a frustration for a long time. While we still need to wait for it to actually be done it's nice to see that things have started moving and are within reason. Older communication from gnome developers have been more in line of "We would have to rewrite the whole of gnome and by caring about stalls you are just an annoying jerk anyway".

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

According to the Gnome blog post, you are wrong, my friend:

Due to the VP9 encoder being too CPU-intensive, the built-in screen recorder changed back to the VP8 encoder.

And if you would still insist that VP9 is buggy, please provide the evidence and the corresponding bug report.
      From the MR (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...requests/954):
      This reverts commit d183f13456991d12ea57ad14ba38a1f7407d0037. Switching to the vp9 encoder seemed like a good idea at the time but unfortunately it also has the major drawback, that it leaks a serious amount of memory every time it is used. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...56#note_692743 for more details.

Comment

treba
        Thanks a lot, that's much better. Still begs the question of why the official Gnome blog post states differently.

Comment

DanL Sin2x Stop trolling, start reading.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/256

These hard to catch leaks were believed to be a GNOME problem but originated from vp9. Sebastian Keller showed up and figured it out. He is doing wonders right now. All over mutter and shell.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Stop trolling, start reading..
            You first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

According to the Gnome blog post, you are wrong, my friend:

Due to the VP9 encoder being too CPU-intensive, the built-in screen recorder changed back to the VP8 encoder.

And if you would still insist that VP9 is buggy, please provide the evidence and the corresponding bug report.
              In the end the V# line is DOA. It's not evolving but maintenance only; hence AV1.

Comment

I'm childish so I can recognise childish behaviour. I think we all want Linux to thrive, in terms of quality and success, in the desktop segment of the market.. and it seems to be a slow and painful process. I feel our frustrations )

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                  I'm childish so I can recognize childish behavior.
                  Yep, sometimes you have to fight glow sticks with glow sticks to keep everything on the level...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Because the users shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about such things. Just believe in the GNOME devs to make all your decisions and you will soon be inside a wonderful walled garden. Okay, it's not as nice as the Apple garden, but what do you want for free?
                    Then, the solution is easy: write a patch that enables it, and send it to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Because the users shouldn't worry their pretty little heads about such things. Just believe in the GNOME devs to make all your decisions and you will soon be inside a wonderful walled garden. Okay, it's not as nice as the Apple garden, but what do you want for free?
                      When I need a quick recording of something for an illustration/documentation/SOP, finding the perfect settings is not my job. Every minute I need to read and understand and evaluate radio buttons and check boxes really is just missing from getting stuff done. Thank you for worrying about my "pretty little head", but you need not do that.

And I call BS on the "walled garden" threat. Neither Gnome, KDE, LTQT, XFCE, ... go out of their way to stop you from installing and using powerful specialized "non-Apple" software, like OBS-Studio, but you were probably just trolling there :-/

Comment

Working...
                      X