GNOME Shell + Mutter See Big Last Minute Improvements With The GNOME 3.36 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
    Geary over Evolution? Is this an April fools joke?
    Yeah I was wondering about that too. Admittedly I haven't kept track of Geary so I don't know if they are feature par. Then again, I could never make Evolution do client certification authentication so have been using Thunderbird or a web interface.

Comment

Do all gnome haters come out and use this update as opportunity to write their usual 5 year old arguments again here? good
      How about you just use your KDE and fine, I don't like KDE too, but I don't write under each KDE or Plasma or whatever you wanna call it why it sucks so much. I think it's envy that it's the default desktop for fedora / Redhat / Debian and Ubuntu and several others, and they aren't.

About the news, I really like that they have seperate workspaces for differenent monitors I at least thought the lack of that was very bad since gnome 3.10 or so which is I guess was 6.5 years ago. It makes zero sense to not have this if you use gnome with more than 1 Monitor.

About the Discussion about Desktop methaphor, I am very thankful of gnome shell opening my eyes that the traditional Desktop metaphor sucked and for me it was then not good enough and I went on to well you can call them tiling wms you could also say programmable / configurable wms.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

The desktop icons add a layer to the background of the desktop enronvinment. The Gtk3 libs are slow, and that layer slow them down further. Wayland make thing worse.
        Thank you for the answer. If that is truly the reason, then I agree in principle with 240Hz (though I wouldn't be quite as incendiary. I'm not out to insult the entire Gnome project and its personnel, even if I disagree with several of their decisions). I'm also appalled at the idea that a Linux DE would lose functionality even Bill Gates could pull off on an original IBM PC in the 80s because its 'too slow' on modern systems.

That said, is this truly the case? Budgie is Gtk3-based, and it has icons and performance at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I really haven't found a music player I like for Linux, I just have to use MediaMonkey on Windows. I've seriously considered coding my own.
          Try Quod Libet.
          Also beets for mass import/management.
          Last edited by intelfx; 07 February 2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

blackiwid the only good thing about Gnome 3 is because of this now we have Cinnamon, Pantheon, Budgie, Deepin Desktop and the resurrection of Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              blackiwid the only good thing about Gnome 3 is because of this now we have Cinnamon, Pantheon, Budgie, Deepin Desktop and the resurrection of Unity.
              You imply that the release of gnome-shell created somehow this gnome alterantives, yet it was Ubuntu didging gnome because NIH or some attempt to get some things into their control using their power of a quasi standard desktop linux to kill gnome, and yes from having gnome as default desktop to not even have a gnome alternative blend for years is a deliberate attack, it's a strategic attempt to attack gnome by using a market dominate force they gained in the past by using gnome.

And it not only weakend gnome because their primary deployment distribution did go away, but also they or their users send no patches to them, or even bugreports. So slowly gnome get's back where they were in gnome 2 times or at least close to that plasma is now a bit bigger I guess because of this gnome-fork-wars. (yes they are not all technically forks but close enough).

So no it wasn't users that said ohhh gnome is so bad, we need now alternatives, no CANONICAL made that decision that gnome is not good enough, even in their own webshop people rated gnome-shell higher than unity.

The alternatives you mention go slowly more or less away, at least Unity is basically dead, yes a few people patch it on their phones but that's about it. Gnome-shell has and had some ruth edges like multimonitor support with only 1 workpspace switcher for the primary monitor it's really sad that this took so long to get fixed but finally they did it apperently. A few such patches last years they reduced basically ram usage from 1gb to 100-200mb or so. There are huge advancements.

Is it best for everybody? No, that was the same with gnome 2, but all people that are not geeks it should be good enough or in other words all that use full "desktops" not tiling wms and similar stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                blackiwid Canonical went back to GNOME some years ago. And so did the Canonical developers. Couldn’t be better

Today the collaboration is better than before Canonical set sail for the CLA/NIH/Qt fail.
                It could been better never go another way, and of course I don't live under a rock and know that when they lost users eventually they gave up because it would been ruinos to continue that path or at least hurt their business.

Yet they made not only a big damage to gnome and gnome could be at least 3 if not 5 years further and have more users, but also to Linux as a whole, back then peolpe were frustrated over Windows 8 but instead of the easy choice ok just pick Ubuntu and you are good they started a big war between gnome vs non-gnome land. Much friction and deserved hate towards them, and people had not only to answer Ohh do you I want linux or windows, but which Desktop and which distro to choose.

Before this answer was easy if you are not knowing better just take Ubuntu with gnome and you are fine if you later are advantures you maybe find something better and can make use of the famous "customization".

So we would have more linux users and we would have a stronger dominance of gnome and a better gnome if they never gone this NIH way.

Btw I find this NIH meme a downplay of what it actually was, it was Not under our control, not invented here sounds like some devs have some self esteem issue or so, no it was a tactical move to get more control over the linux stack.
                Last edited by blackiwid; 10 February 2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I use GNOME with no extensions
                  You have very basic needs then.
                  I need 10-12 extensions to get a decent workflow out of it. I also have to deactivate that useless shell that gets in the way.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 10 February 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                    By the way, desktop icons are garbage. There is no reason to have them at all, i don't use them on Windows, i don't use them on KDE, so i am not missing them on GNOME. They are just a clutch for lazy people.
                    Oh boy. Another messiah that reveals the ultimate truth to the face of the world.
                    Close-mindedness is a terrible weight to bear.

People decide what they want from their workflow and there's nothing you can object to that, your lack of acceptation to that is what's actually pure gar...

I don't use them, I love my desktop background to stay fully clean and visible. Yet I want people to use them if they like their workflow so. I want the choice to be there so it can be made.

Comment

Working...
                    X