No announcement yet.

Firefox 72 vs. Chrome 80 Browser Performance On Ubuntu Linux With AMD Ryzen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I just saw today Firefox 73 in the updates for 20.04.
    Maybe the benchmarks are from a few days ago.
    Anyway Firefox's speed and the lack hardware video decoding is very disappointing.
    Mozilla seems to be like Canonical, always investing in the not very important and not used by many parts like Web asssembly and WebVR.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I think I just saw today Firefox 73 in the updates for 20.04.
      Maybe the benchmarks are from a few days ago.
      Anyway Firefox's speed and the lack hardware video decoding is very disappointing.
      Mozilla seems to be like Canonical, always investing in the not very important and not used by many parts like Web asssembly and WebVR.
      even WASM and WEBVR efforts are lacking

the only area wich is increasing year after year is the salary of their CEO https://twitter.com/BrendanEich/stat...12049716035584

Comment

I use both browsers, although I must admit that I prefer Chromium for various reasons. Yes, Chromium is faster than Firefox, you can easily notice it in daily use, however this is not the only reason that makes me prefer Chromium.
        In Firefox I tried to enable WebRender, but I had to disable it, as sometimes it created problems (100% cpu).
        There is no real privacy problem with Chromium, it is an urban legend, I use Chromium without using Google and it is the same as any other browser, however I also have a profile with Google set up, as I need it ... but it is not a problem for me.

Comment

I've been very disappointed by Firefox over the last few years, but still use it.

Mozilla abandoned backwards compatibility for the promise of not just better, but extraordinary, performance. But instead we are left with a browser just as comparatively slow as before, without many extensions users relied upon.

I only continue to support Mozilla, and Firefox and Thunderbird, because they are one of the last great hopes for privacy and justice and fairness on the Internet.

And that may not be seen as a good reason now, but consider this.

I supported AMD after Bulldozer, and "suffered" with a lesser architecture for almost a decade. But now AMD, instead of being bankrupt and gone, is finally giving the world the technology it deserves, at a price that is fair and just.

If you give people a chance to do the right thing, usually they will.

Of course that excludes people who have an unusual bond with greed, like the modern leaders of Intel and NVIDIA, but overall it has been my experience that the vast majority of humanity is good.

Comment

Michael, why are you still testing Octane? It has been retired.

Comment

Thanks for the benchmarks, very interesting. Can I suggest that you consider also including something like Brave in future, not because its results will be interesting, but rather to remind visitors that there are good alternatives to Chrome using the same engine out there. I can't be alone with my concerns about Google's browser dominance and how they abuse it. Thanks for the consideration.

Comment

I have been using Firefox lately as my main driver, got it setup nicely, but I can certainly notice the performance issues compared to Vivaldi/Brave (chromium based, no spyware) browsers. Certain content can have this tearing/gittery movement when scrolling while chromium based browsers don't, there are also other small things here and there.

For the moment anyway, I'll continue supporting the underdog, whats really needed is a vulkan based window manager with vulkan based browser acceleration. That be the golden ticket! OGL 2/3.1 is just too fat and old.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  But in some some WASM tests, Chrome does come out ahead.
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  StylleBench is one of the tests where Firefox leads and with WebRender there is of minor benefit.

Comment

Browser benchmarks for synthetic tests. OK. Someone gets to claim some kind of marketing victory. In everyday usage, there is no serious difference in performance between any of the major browsers.

Firefox is the browser of choice for most Linux distributions for two good reasons: 1) it is not only open source, but also backed by a community that respects open community, and 2) it competes pretty well with the big corporate browsers in terms of features, usability, standards support, privacy, etc., even if it trades blows on certain features (like synthetic benchmarks).

I'm glad Phoronix does these tests, keeps everyone on their toes. But I would choose Firefox even if it lost on all these benchmarks.

Comment

I find Firefox slow , with a terrible UI.

Honestly , just use brave. All the privacy but with the rock solid chromium rendering engine .

Comment

Working...
                      X