Mozilla Developer Talks Up WGPU As Their WebGPU Implementation In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Funny how Mozilla claims to respect privacy but as soon as user tracking is disabled, these users no longer count.
    Among mainstream browsers, Mozilla is the most privacy friendly but if you don't enable telemetry, they don't get to know the configuration you use and they really can't count you (even in an anonymized way) in their general stats. That is just the natural most obvious consequence of anyone's choice to disable telemetry.

Comment

I don't like Rust.

In fact I buy special paints to stop it

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Firefox tried a trick to draw the titlebar soon, but the rest of the page is blank for a few moments, so Chromium is better here.
        For the rest I trust the benchmarks which is based on math, if it says that Chromium is so much faster, the it is so much faster.
        None of the tests here measure page load time. Try opening the front page of a large news site in Firefox and Chrome and see the difference for yourself. Also, that's without taking into account tracking protection. With tracking protection on - which is the default - the difference between the two is an order of magnitude since Firefox won't be loading any of the trackers' JS or running fingerprinting scripts.

Full disclaimer: I work for Mozilla (and have been for a long time)

Comment

Originally posted by lu_tze View Post
          The thing is, that Mozilla supports Windows because they have to (most users are there), macOS because it is cool for Mozilla developers to get company issued Macbooks and then go to conferences with them. Linux is the red-headed stepchild and the support is left for Redhat and SuSE.
          That's false: the vast majority of Firefox developers are on Linux. In fact we've even been using Linux to cross-compile macOS builds. This year we've made significant Linux-specific improvements and started working more closely with the biggest Linux distributions. We've added Linux-specific optimizations that will cut memory consumption. We're also now able to analyze crashes of Firefox builds that aren't produced by Mozilla, so we detected both Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora-specific crashes and could report them to their maintainers so the fixes reached the users very quickly, often within days. Fedora recently switched Firefox crash reporting to Mozilla servers instead of theirs because of the improvements. This also helped improve Wayland robustness as Wayland-specific issues were easier to identify and fix. Last but not least we could detect issues in non-Mozilla software which we either reported or fixed upstream. Heck, even Debian's Firefox maintainer is a long-time Mozilla developer.

How's that for the red-headed stepchild?

Full disclaimer: I obviously work for Mozilla (and have been for a long time)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Funny how Mozilla claims to respect privacy but as soon as user tracking is disabled, these users no longer count.
            There is no such thing as user tracking in Firefox. Firefox telemetry is anonymized and contains no data that can be used to track users. It's designed in a way that we're unable to correlate the telemetry coming from two installations of Firefox even if they're running on the same machine and they're both logged into the same Firefox account.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I wish Mozilla would stop chasing edge cases and technologies and focus more on practical stuff like implementing as much as possible from HTML5, Wayland integration, hardware decoding for video and audio.
              Also they should try to reduce the performance gap between Firefox and Chromium.
              On ARM (RPI 4 or Jetson Nano), Firefox is borderline unusable when watching video.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

On ARM (RPI 4 or Jetson Nano), Firefox is borderline unusable when watching video.
                The fact that the Raspberry Pi's OS defaults to Chromium on such low powered, low memory machine, shows how good Firefox's performance is on Linux, compared to Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post

There is no such thing as user tracking in Firefox. Firefox telemetry is anonymized and contains no data that can be used to track users. It's designed in a way that we're unable to correlate the telemetry coming from two installations of Firefox even if they're running on the same machine and they're both logged into the same Firefox account.
                  I'm sorry but, I had call that bullshit. Unlike many Firefox fans, I actually took time to read Mozilla's TOS and buried there, they state they can collect and reserve the right to "share" user information with third parties, on several of the Mozilla's service offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    I'm sorry but, I had call that bullshit. Unlike many Firefox fans, I actually took time to read Mozilla's TOS and buried there, they state they can collect and reserve the right to "share" user information with third parties, on several of the Mozilla's service offerings.
                    Firefox telemetry collects no data that can be used to track users, the terms of service of another service are unrelated to that. That being said I just checked the TOS and there's nothing mentioning sharing user data with third parties. Can you link to the paragraph you mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by crystall View Post

Firefox telemetry collects no data that can be used to track users, the terms of service of another service are unrelated to that. That being said I just checked the TOS and there's nothing mentioning sharing user data with third parties. Can you link to the paragraph you mentioned?
                      Our Privacy Notices describe the data our products and services receive, share, and use, as well as choices available to you.

When do we share your information with others?

When we have asked and received your permission to share it.
                      For processing or providing products and services to you, but only if those entities receiving your information are contractually obligated to handle the data in ways that are approved by Mozilla.
                      in this page you can see that Mozilla can have your data. An yes they can share with others. Yes it is written in a very shill manner to not provoke anger among users, but they fully admit that they can collect info about you by a number of methods and they can share it with third parties.

You can interpret this any way you want. But to me, in MY opinion, this is just lawyer talk to say they do the same as any other tech giant do. Oh, so they ask my permission first? Well, this is what any other corporation do when you click "Ok" to use a app or accepting "just cookies" on a website.

PS: I'm not trashing Mozilla here. I'm a long time Firefox and Thunderbird user. I just do not put them on a pedestal of rightfulness, I just want that people be fully aware of what Mozilla do concerning user privacy.

Comment

Working...
                      X