Google Chrome 80 Released With WebVR 1.1, Dropping FTP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
    It's funny how people are angry at google for not supporting an outdated protocol while they are most likely not using Chrome anyway.
    It's also funny how people are angry at Google for not supporting an outdated protocol they don't know, understand or use much.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I don't know...
      you don't know how to set up FTP either, don't you?
      sftp is basically the same thing, but with a list of user/password (and encrypts traffic and stuff).

Does that work with a web browser?
      Afaik no. FTP support in browsers was always a bit half-assed and never went to secure FTP protocols.

Do I need to buy a certificate for that?
      No

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        What is their reasoning in not supporting sftp?
        It's harder to implement than FTP and not much more common. "S" also stands for "secure", and this means that you can't half-ass it or people will start opening CVEs about it and force you to fix stuff.

Also, all OSes have FTP and SFTP support in their own file manager already.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 February 2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Maybe I want to transfer some files from one computer to another.
          Any half-decent file manager is a ftp client already (and also supports sftp, which is recommended if you do this over the internet), both on Windows and Linux you can open network FTP folders with the file manager.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 05 February 2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Good luck setting up a FTP server that is accessible from the internet, consumer firewalls (and ISP firewalls applied on consumer-grade internet access) commonly block the type of communication used by a FTP server if it comes from your side of the wire.

Consumers are usually limited to download from FTP but not set up their own.
            I have complete control over my internet modem where I can setup and already did opened ports for SSH and web server on my Raspberry Pi.
            I haven't found yet any port that is blocked on ISP level.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

No, sftp runs over ssh. You're thinking of ftps (certificate).

It's funny how people are angry at google for not supporting an outdated protocol while they are most likely not using Chrome anyway.
              Well, then FTPS is the one that I don't like.
              I don't like at all the whole certificate buying scheme and the artificial expiration date they've put on.
              I'm not using Chrome, but I'm using ungoogled-chromium as a backup browser for Firefox.

Comment

It's more complex than that, it's not about blocking ports but seeing traffic that is initiated by a port and then switches to another or something like that, which does look suspicious to ISP firewalls. https://www.thegeekdiary.com/active-ftp-vs-passive-ftp/

Unless you have already tried and it works, you can't be sure of what the ISP is actually doing.

I don't like at all the whole certificate buying scheme
                Are you aware of the large non-profit certificate authority called Let's Encrypt? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Encrypt
                They offer free certificates and are the choice for many opensource projects and hobbyist-grade stuff, their client was merged in Ubuntu/Debian and works on a raspi too https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-ssl-lets-encrypt/
                (and is opensource anyway https://github.com/certbot/certbot so other distros ship it too)

and the artificial expiration date they've put on.
                Changing certificate (key) limits the issues in case someone managed to steal your certificate and impersonate your server. Similar to changing password often, but remember that we are talking of publicly accessible services in a easily-automated environment.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Install a plugin? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...kmipm?hl=en-GB

Use a dedicated application like FileZilla?

Use your OS's default file manager? Explorer (on windows), Dolphin (KDE), GNOME's file manager, Thunar (XFCE), Caja (MATE), and others probably.
                  I will just use wget after all.

I once used ftp, but it caused file corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    What is their reasoning in not supporting sftp?
                    Obviously FTP is obsolete for sensitive data and authenticated users and nobody should be using it for those things.

But does sftp support anonymous user login? I didn't think it did. For an organization distributing public downloads to anonymous users, ftp works great and has no issues. Many mobo vendors offer their BIOS updates via FTP site, for example, precisely because FTP works so well in that role.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 06 February 2020, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I have complete control over my internet modem where I can setup and already did opened ports for SSH and web server on my Raspberry Pi.
                      Try port 25. Every ISP out there blocks inbound port 25 on residential connections. You either need to "upgrade" to a business plan, or stand up a micro sized cloud instance and openvpn tunnel in through that. I do the latter. $5/mo at Linode.

Comment

Working...
                      X