Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.32 Released With RAR5 Support, Bash Completion

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.32 Released With RAR5 Support, Bash Completion

MPV 0.32 is out today as the newest update to this open-source video player based on MPlayer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If anyone is wondering what the Gnome wayland issues are:

🎥 Command line video player. Contribute to mpv-player/mpv development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

144Hz please don't do something stupid, after all it's just software.

Edit: A few interesting quotes from the link above:

They consider their "desktop" to be a separate platform (they consider non-GNOME desktops like KDE on the same level as win32 and OSX). It's unknown why GNOME puts lots of effort into ensuring a very basic level of compatibility (like using Wayland instead of their own protocol), but stubbornly refuse to implement other very simple standard mechanisms that help with integration (like the window decoration or idle inhibit protocols).

On the other hand, the methods they provide for integrating with GNOME are technically bad and unacceptable, such as depending on GTK and giving it control over your window just to render CSDs, or needing dbus for disabling the screensaver during playback.

Is GNOME's apparent behavior stupid or evil? You decide. The end result is that the "Linux Desktop" remains a dumb shit show. Writing software only for win32 or OSX is a much nicer experience, thus bad consequences for Linux.

Last edited by cl333r; 26 January 2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I really hope GNOME developers get their act together. I'm pretty sure that Wayland will ultimately fail if they won't. At this point the only thing that helps in this regard it's probably going to be pressure from application developers and distributions.

I still like GNOME, but some of the politics associated with development are completely unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          144Hz please don't do something stupid, after all it's just software.
          Did I miss something?

Comment

I'd consider Microsoft or Nvidia as hurting the Linux desktop more than GNOME is.

but stubbornly refuse to implement other very simple standard mechanisms that help with integration (like the window decoration or idle inhibit protocols).
            The former isn't "simple" and the latter, using dbus means it can be easily sandboxed.

Not everything needs to be shoved in a Wayland protocol.

They consider their "desktop" to be a separate platform (they consider non-GNOME desktops like KDE on the same level as win32 and OSX).
            KDE is also a seperate platform. It has it's own design language, own toolkit, own ecosystem, own way of doing things.
            Last edited by Britoid; 26 January 2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              The former isn't "simple" and the latter, using dbus means it can be easily sandboxed.

Not everything needs to be shoved in a Wayland protocol.
              The problem is that someone needs to decide what protocols and APIs should be implemented and used. The Wayland standardization project (wayland-protocols) has decided that xdg-decoration is a standard protocol. So compositors *should* implement it. Basically, everyone accepted that, *except* GNOME. FWIW, there are also valid technical reasons why xdg-decoration is needed.

So we've got major fragmentation now, which really hurts the Linux desktop.

Comment

The support for RAR compression strikes me as a little odd. I thought most videos were already highly compressed. Would you really gain much further compression by sticking them into RAR files? That would limit what applications you can play them back with without decompressing them.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  ...So we've got major fragmentation now, which really hurts the Linux desktop.
                  Does this mean I can't shake my GNOME pom-poms all over Phoronix? Bummer...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    MPV 0.32 also adds an explicit warning when running the player on GNOME's Wayland session due to "serious issues with their compositor."
                    Originally posted by https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/FAQ#is-gnome-actively-sabotaging-the-linux-desktop
                    <...> Is GNOME actively sabotaging the Linux Desktop?
                    Clearly they are <...>
                    What a moron.

But then again, you shouldn't expect much from a GitHub profile with no real name and an anime picture for an avatar. 4chan-style development, jfc.

It's not developers' business to tell users what they should or what they should not run, or make political statements on that matter, lest we end up with another xscreensaver.
                    Last edited by intelfx; 27 January 2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X