Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc
    I find that those that bash office have never actually used it or just simply hate Microsoft. I personally do not find any office program to even be in the same league. LibreOffice can't even render or preserve formatting of my resume, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent

How many versions of Microsoft Office do you need?

You can run 2 of the 3 versions of Office natively on Linux. Office for Android apps for natively with Anbox and there are even x86 APK variants available if you don't want to set-up Libhoudini to get the ARM versions working. There is also of course the free Web version of the apps as well. Fewer features, sure, but basically full compatibility with DOCX, PPTX, and XLSX files.

Nevermind the numerous commercial alternatives to LibreOffice like WPS Office and SoftMaker Office that provide better Office file format interopability and more features than LibreOffice.

Judging by your post, you don't actually use Office. None of the options you mentioned have even a fraction of the features that the actual desktop Microsoft Office Suite has. They are little more than viewers with minor editing capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Wrong, it is dominating because LibreOffice breaks formatting of many Microsoft Office documents and makes it impossible to collaborate with individuals and companies who create documents in Microsoft Office.
        That is, as long as those individuals can't find the button to save as ODF, which actually is an open standard:

In fact, most people don't need/use the special features set of whatever office suite anyway, so it's really only about using Outlook with an Exchange server. But oh, the buttons for text formatting in LO Writer look different from those in MS Word look different here! (Already forgot about when Ribbons where new, hypocrites? I did not..)

Comment

I have been using LibreOffice for 9 years and it's amazing it can manage to be a complete piece of sh!+ all this time.

Writer is a complete and utter joke being able to use only one CPU thread at any time. Load up an ODF with 5 pages of images and watch how unusable it becomes. And two days ago, I was using LO 6.4 to write a site inspection report, so I put the building blueprints on the document, used LO's crop feature to remove the unneeded portions of the image, drew route lines on the blueprints for the various installations and saved it as an ODF. When i reopened it:
          1. The cropped image uncropped and stretched itself
          2. My drawn route lines were scattered all over different pages
          3. The image and text wrapping went completely haywire
          I ended up drawing my route lines on the blueprints with an image editor, rewriting my entire report from page one and finishing it in one sitting so that it could be exported safely to PDF. This never happened on any version of Word that I have used since the days of Word 97.

Impress is another piece of trash that can't even remember its own formatting to save its life. I drew up a three-slide presentation to show my boss a planned installation, and after saving it as an ODP the text boxes decided to move around by themselves even after I had placed them in fixed positions from the beginning.

Now using MS Office for Web and life is so, so much happier. Now waiting for the day Microsoft will add the ability to create TOCs and Drawings in Word for Web so that I can stop using image editors for making impromptu drawings.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

Judging by your post, you don't actually use Office. None of the options you mentioned have even a fraction of the features that the actual desktop Microsoft Office Suite has. They are little more than viewers with minor editing capabilities.
            True. When I need to use an Office suite, I'll typically go with Google Docs or LibreOffice. Microsoft Office has nothing I need nor want to give Microsoft money for it.

That said, with all the hate I'm seeing towards LibreOffice here, I decide to try out the 5 day trial version of Office Professional 2019 and it works alright on the Linux desktop. You just need to configure a *reverse* WSL2 type setup and make simple app launcher scripts for the office apps on your machine and you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

True. When I need to use an Office suite, I'll typically go with Google Docs or LibreOffice. Microsoft Office has nothing I need nor want to give Microsoft money for it.

That said, with all the hate I'm seeing towards LibreOffice here, I decide to try out the 5 day trial version of Office Professional 2019 and it works alright on the Linux desktop. You just need to configure a *reverse* WSL2 type setup and make simple app launcher scripts for the office apps on your machine and you're good to go.
              I will really like to know how you do this. I have spare licenses from my Office 365 subscription so licenses are no issue, because i've officially had it up to my limit with LO over the decade.

Comment

I would use Libre office for all my office work if Libre Office Impress had working transitions on Linux.
                This has not been the case for a decade. So i have OnlyOffice installed for that reason alone.
                I hope this new rendering engine might help.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

I find that those that bash office have never actually used it or just simply hate Microsoft. I personally do not find any office program to even be in the same league. LibreOffice can't even render or preserve formatting of my resume, for example.
                  And your resume is on a docx?

I've been using MSO every day at work, for the last 12 years (and during my studies before that). I know it very very well. And yet, whenever I'm given the choice, I use LO instead as I find it more efficient and consistent. I'm not talking about cost (I don't pay for it at work). I'm not talking about availability on Linux (as I'm forced to use Windows at work). I'm just comparing them on the efficiency criteria.

And I've verified several times that with Writer I'll have the job done in 25% less time with a better consistency in the formatting of the document.
                  Last edited by Mez'; 24 January 2020, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Impress is another piece of trash that can't even remember its own formatting to save its life. I drew up a three-slide presentation to show my boss a planned installation, and after saving it as an ODP the text boxes decided to move around by themselves even after I had placed them in fixed positions from the beginning.

Now using MS Office for Web and life is so, so much happier. Now waiting for the day Microsoft will add the ability to create TOCs and Drawings in Word for Web so that I can stop using image editors for making impromptu drawings.
                    I managed two 50 slides profesional presentation on Impress in recent weeks, as for once I could do it outside of my work laptop. I'm talking about a business (not IT) presentation in front of the CEO and his vice-pres.
                    All the text boxes, pictures, bullet points, font sizes, headers, footers, title slides, transition effects are holding up perfectly and not one people thought it wasn't done on PPT.
                    If I try to get bullet points and font sizes right in PPT (as they dynamically change while I don't want them to), I'll spend 2-3x more time on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                      From my point of view, MS Office is objectively non-intuitive.
                      Uh.... then it's not objective... that's subjective....

Comment

Working...
                      X