Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I couldn't care less about version numbers. But then again, I don't care much about office suites, since Google Docs has been covering my needs for years.

This is literally what I was wondering about.

It's a GTK+ application, improvements will come from KDE's GTK+ integration.
    LibreOffice does have a Qt backend, I don't think it's as heavily developed as the GTK one though.

Comment

LibreOffice and KDE Plasma is working very well for me right now. Something changed recently (the last few months) and it feels a lot more integrated. LO 6.3 & KP 5.17

Comment

Does it really need Vulkan? Is rendering text and a bunch of graphs so intensive these days?
        Also, is Linux support for Vulkan up to the task? (Genuinely curious, I haven't paid much attention to that since I stopped gaming)
        Well, Vulkan is the new free graphics programming API. Nothing says that you should only use it for high performance stuff. OpenGL has a lot of old cruft. If you're willing to implement all the extra stuff that Vulkan expects you to provide, or find a nice library to do that for you, the Vulkan experience is probably nicer compared to OpenGL because it uses a modern API instead of that Frankenstein API that is OpenGL. Or maybe you're asking if they couldn't just do everything on the CPU instead of using the GPU. Well, I'm really not sure. Do they use it for text/GUI rendering, or faster LibreOffice Calc calculations, or LibreOffice Impress animations, or what?

Implementing a Vulkan driver should be easier than implementing an OpenGL driver, and my experience using HD7870 and the open source radv driver has been quite good so far. I'm sure there are a few bugs though.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          uid313 They are expanding the use of GTK3 to make it more Wayland compatible.
          Can confirm. Deadline 2026.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
            Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc
            The Linux community is drowning in self delusion and the answer to what you're saying will be as usual: you're wrong, it's all relative, it's a matter of taste, it's good enough etc etc. Microsoft Office is doing so well not because it's so good but because its competition is so bad.

Comment

Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc
              You might want to give wps Office, only office or free office a try. Libreoffice is not the only one out there (although my personal preference, even though it doesn't look as shiny).

Comment

Microsoft Office is dominating because of Outlook and Activesync support. Until there's a good Outlook and/or Activesync killer that's free or cheap, then Microsoft Office will reign.

Comment

I couldn't care less about version numbers. But then again, I don't care much about office suites, since Google Docs has been covering my needs for years.

This is literally what I was wondering about.

It's a GTK+ application, improvements will come from KDE's GTK+ integration.
                  It's VCL based and has support for various toolkits like Qt-KDE (they use Frameworks) , GTK or Win32 UIs.
                  But they could just threw VCL away and support every platform in one go by using Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    The Linux community is drowning in self delusion and the answer to what you're saying will be as usual: you're wrong, it's all relative, it's a matter of taste, it's good enough etc etc. Microsoft Office is doing so well not because it's so good but because its competition is so bad.
                    ROFL

For me, I'm the one making and sending out documents. Libre works just fine for me because because I export everything to PDF first. I can say "it's good enough" because, for my needs, it actually is. Damn near any office suite will suit my needs so that really isn't saying too much. If "export to/save as PDF" works with Adobe Reader, the office suite suits my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

You might want to give wps Office, only office or free office a try. Libreoffice is not the only one out there (although my personal preference, even though it doesn't look as shiny).
                      None of those are open source, except OnlyOffice.

Comment

Working...
                      X