Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.0 Is The Version Now In Development With Its Skia + Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post

You might want to give wps Office, only office or free office a try. Libreoffice is not the only one out there (although my personal preference, even though it doesn't look as shiny).
    I wish WPS and FreeOffice/SoftMaker Office had a baby, as I like WPS's more modern ribbon better than the older ribbon in Free/Soft (still better than endless menus though!), but I like the robustness of Free/Soft better: it's more stable and a lot less buggy.

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
    Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc
    I'm confused because I have used Libre Office to work with docx and even save as docx. Perhaps, because its not Office, I doubt it will 100% do everything.

More importantly, you will never get away from Office until everyone you deal with abandons it. Its much like Gimp VS Photoshop where if you do graphic design for work, no one expects you to use anything other than Photoshop. Until that changes, you will not be using Libre. Your only alternative is to then move to Linux and either VM Windows for Office, use Office online, or see if it works with Wine. If you can't do any of those then you might as well forget Linux exists for that situation.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

None of those are open source, except OnlyOffice.
    If you're currently using Windows with MS Office then that's probably not *the* major blocker argument
    wps office and only office are available as flatpaks on flathub so at least can get somewhat/increasingly sandboxed in case you don't want to trust them with messing around your system (but AFAIK both don't have native Wayland support yet, which is needed for real sandboxing).

Leave a comment:

• Prescience500
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Wrong, it is dominating because LibreOffice breaks formatting of many Microsoft Office documents and makes it impossible to collaborate with individuals and companies who create documents in Microsoft Office.
    I used to have a lot of problems with LibreOffice having that issue. In the last year or so though, it's worked perfectly for me. I can't tell the difference in going between the two. I don't know if it's just me, but it's clearly getting a lot better. Every one I've ever worked with uses Google Docs for collaboration. Even all my clients use Google Docs and they have Office 365 and I've offered to help them learn to use it for collaboration.

Leave a comment:

• Cerberus
    replied
    Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
    Microsoft Office is dominating because of Outlook and Activesync support. Until there's a good Outlook and/or Activesync killer that's free or cheap, then Microsoft Office will reign.
    Wrong, it is dominating because LibreOffice breaks formatting of many Microsoft Office documents and makes it impossible to collaborate with individuals and companies who create documents in Microsoft Office.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by treba View Post

You might want to give wps Office, only office or free office a try. Libreoffice is not the only one out there (although my personal preference, even though it doesn't look as shiny).
    None of those are open source, except OnlyOffice.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Libre is sooo behind office. Its sad but I wish Libre got the resources it requires to make it competitive. There's not a slight chance it can compete with ms word or power point, lack of features, templates and even this decade's appearance.

Its blocking my family to moving to Linux actually. They just need office and work with files other people send as docx , pptx etc
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    The Linux community is drowning in self delusion and the answer to what you're saying will be as usual: you're wrong, it's all relative, it's a matter of taste, it's good enough etc etc. Microsoft Office is doing so well not because it's so good but because its competition is so bad.
    ROFL

For me, I'm the one making and sending out documents. Libre works just fine for me because because I export everything to PDF first. I can say "it's good enough" because, for my needs, it actually is. Damn near any office suite will suit my needs so that really isn't saying too much. If "export to/save as PDF" works with Adobe Reader, the office suite suits my needs.

Leave a comment:

• Thaodan
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I couldn't care less about version numbers. But then again, I don't care much about office suites, since Google Docs has been covering my needs for years.

This is literally what I was wondering about.

It's a GTK+ application, improvements will come from KDE's GTK+ integration.
    It's VCL based and has support for various toolkits like Qt-KDE (they use Frameworks) , GTK or Win32 UIs.
    But they could just threw VCL away and support every platform in one go by using Qt.

Leave a comment:

• Prescience500
    replied
    Microsoft Office is dominating because of Outlook and Activesync support. Until there's a good Outlook and/or Activesync killer that's free or cheap, then Microsoft Office will reign.

Leave a comment:

• treba
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X