GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Two or three years ago I spent weeks getting a nice Gnome desktop setup just the way I liked. A few days later an update happened that broke half of the extensions I was using. Don't ask exact names or versions. I don't remember. All I know is everything I got came from the official Gnome extension page.

And about the official Gnome extension page...give me a link that shows the difference between an official extension and an unofficial extension. I see sort by Name, Recent, Downloads, & Popularity. I see everything lumped into 119 pages. Then I clicked on About where I found this:

So, according to that, there are no official Gnome extensions. By supported Gnome extensions, do you mean "extensions made by Gnome developers"? If that's yes, do you honestly expect people to cross-reference Gnome developers with extension developers and to only use an extension when there's an overlap?

FWIW, half the crap on the KDE extension page doesn't work because it's old. What sucks is that same stuff is available in Plasma OOTB via Discover and a some website isn't needed. My Plasma desktop doesn't run 3rd party stuff from the official Plasma getting shit place or the official Plasma "some website".

I don't like relying on extensions regardless of the desktop environment. Gnome, to sufficiently operate like how I'd want a computer to operate, won't do that without multiple plugins, so I don't like Gnome.

I don't have to try to find a reason. Go to gnome.org and look at their screenshot. It doesn't have a fucking taskbar and the "start menu" is full screen. Gnome shows me why I don't like it right from the very first image on their website.
    As I though, you think GNOME 3 is bad because years ago some extensions broke after update. It's not very hard to see which extension is from GNOME developers. First - this page is mainly for unofficial extensions as official mainly reside in repo and comes with GNOME 3 itself (I don't know if all official extensions are available in this page). Second - see source of the extension and check if it's on GNOME Gitlab. That's all. It's only hard when you want it to be hard.

If you don't have to find a reason, then why I should go to GNOME page and look at screenshot? I don't have to, I see GNOME on my desktop whenever I turn on my PC. It doesn't have taskbar and classic start menu and what? It's totally unusable because of that? You can't run applications? You can't work in these applications? No. You can do what you can do on your desktop. It's just different approach to using desktop. Classic metaphor isn't the only one and best of all. Even if GNOME isn't using classic metaphor OOTB, there is still classic session which mimics GNOME 2 with classic menu and taskbar. Nobody forces you to throw away your habits even on GNOME 3. Isn't Linux about customization? Don't you customize your desktop? Why we are talking about desktop from GNOME page when it's easy to change?

I don't like default KDE look. I don't like default GNOME look as well. Aside from full screen app list (it's a lot easier and more comfortable to me to search apps using search, than to scroll small menu) I have classic desktop and desktop icons. I don't remember desktop break after update and I'm using rolling release distros, not some long term stable ones.

Comment

Lets be honest, you are just trying to make a terrible user interface appear more... appealing than it really is.

It is what it is, just about everyone who is a professional developer or power user, agrees that the gnome3 user interface is not suitable for real work. Maybe you are a happy user because your use case is limited, maybe you are supporting gnome3 for your own reasons, I don't know and I don't care, but you have to be honest, the user interface is garbage for usability.

I switched to Cinnamon, someone else switched to KDE, and lets be honest, gnome3 users are rather rare, but they exist somewhere.

So why don't we stop beating a dead horse and move on?

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
      If you don't have to find a reason, then why I should go to GNOME page and look at screenshot? I don't have to, I see GNOME on my desktop whenever I turn on my PC. It doesn't have taskbar and classic start menu and what? It's totally unusable because of that? You can't run applications? You can't work in these applications? No. You can do what you can do on your desktop. It's just different approach to using desktop. Classic metaphor isn't the only one and best of all. Even if GNOME isn't using classic metaphor OOTB, there is still classic session which mimics GNOME 2 with classic menu and taskbar. Nobody forces you to throw away your habits even on GNOME 3. Isn't Linux about customization? Don't you customize your desktop? Why we are talking about desktop from GNOME page when it's easy to change?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Lets be honest, you are just trying to make a terrible user interface appear more... appealing than it really is.

It is what it is, just about everyone who is a professional developer or power user, agrees that the gnome3 user interface is not suitable for real work. Maybe you are a happy user because your use case is limited, maybe you are supporting gnome3 for your own reasons, I don't know and I don't care, but you have to be honest, the user interface is garbage for usability.

I switched to Cinnamon, someone else switched to KDE, and lets be honest, gnome3 users are rather rare, but they exist somewhere.

So why don't we stop beating a dead horse and move on?
        Didn't I just said I also don't like GNOME default UI and use extensions to make it more classic?

No, it's not what is it. Maybe GNOME3 is garbage to you and to be honest with you too: I don't really care about and respect your opinion but this doesn't mean it's bad to everyone. Did you asked all professionals or powers users what they think about GNOME 3? No? Then how can you talk about "everyone" opinion? It's just your opinion. That's all. You don't even know what I using my desktop for and you have opinion about limited use case because I prefer desktop you hate. Well, I could just said same to you.

Compare development of your desktop to GNOME and think more about dead horse.

Comment

Ah interesting, we are still beating the dead horse...

Unfortunately for you, I have a very good understanding and opinion about the subject since I'm involved in Fedora and I was there when we switched to gnome3 and Fedora's user base plummeted to unprecedented.... depths...

Word from higher up the food chain, dictates that gnome3 is forced down everyone's throat, but once everyone realised that Fedora would be a rarity with 0 users, the decision was made to create Spins of other desktops as defaults over gnome3. Wise decision, now Fedora is still around for everyone to enjoy.

Looking at the statistics, I am sorry to inform you, but gnome3 is clearly a looser user interface. Its user base is a rounding error...

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            Ah interesting, we are still beating the dead horse...

Unfortunately for you, I have a very good understanding and opinion about the subject since I'm involved in Fedora and I was there when we switched to gnome3 and Fedora's user base plummeted to unprecedented.... depths...

Word from higher up the food chain, dictates that gnome3 is forced down everyone's throat, but once everyone realised that Fedora would be a rarity with 0 users, the decision was made to create Spins of other desktops as defaults over gnome3. Wise decision, now Fedora is still around for everyone to enjoy.

Looking at the statistics, I am sorry to inform you, but gnome3 is clearly a looser user interface. Its user base is a rounding error...
            I was one of those Fedora users that switched away for that exact reason. Literally no one on planet earth wants a UI designed for mobile devices when they're using a desktop machine with a big, non-touch monitor. It's absolutely tragic that the best thing GNOME could come up with, after a decade of development, is vastly worse than the thing it was supposed to replace.

Then there's the whole "let's write it in JavaScript" thing, which even the people involved have mostly since admitted was a huge mistake.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the whole Outreachy initiative started around the same time; recruiting a bunch of low IQ brainlets who care more about following fads and trends than producing long-term, quality software.
            Last edited by xinorom; 02 February 2020, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Sad to see you go... please come back, we now have Spins with alternative desktops

Originally posted by xinorom View Post

I was one of those Fedora users that switched away for that exact reason. Literally no one on planet earth wants a UI designed for mobile devices when they're using a desktop machine with a big, non-touch monitor. It's absolutely tragic that the best thing GNOME could come up with, after a decade of development, is vastly worse than the thing it was supposed to replace.

Then there's the whole "let's write it in JavaScript" thing, which even the people involved have mostly since admitted was a huge mistake.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence that the whole Outreachy initiative started around the same time; recruiting a bunch of low IQ brainlets who care more about following fads and trends than producing long-term, quality software.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

Have you found a way to launch apps for the desktop icons on Gnome 3 ?
                If yes, please tell me how !!
                It's just a simple drag and drop from the applications menu. Then right click the icon on the desktop and allow to start it.

To be fair you have to use the (still beta, Xorg mode required for this feature) next generation desktop-icons extension instead of the official Gnome one: https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...icons-ng-ding/
                And of course activate the applications menu

If you prefer the official Gnome desktop-icons extension you still can copy the *.desktop file by hand from /usr/share/applications to ~/desktop
                Last edited by George99; 02 February 2020, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X