• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Isedonde Remember GNOME is the enterprise desktop
    elite trolling Sir

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
      It's developed by GNOME developers. It's not unofficial. Can't really see why it's bad because it isn't builtin. Not everybody wants to fill desktop with icons so having this as option is better idea for me.
      Because it isn't builtin. Not everybody wants to update their OS only to find that the desktop they spent a couple weeks tinkering with to get setup just right quits working

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Because it isn't builtin. Not everybody wants to update their OS only to find that the desktop they spent a couple weeks tinkering with to get setup just right quits working
        All you have to do is visit extension.gnome.org and install extension by clicking one switch. You can do it in less than minute including visiting page. Some distros has this extensions in repo so you don't even have to install it manually. What about apps? Are you using only builtin because you don't want to "spend a couple weeks" installing your favorites?

I can agree GNOME has disadvantages but I think this whole desktop icons discussion is way too loud. Some peoples criticize this like somebody from GNOME team would forbid they having icons on their desktops and block it.
        Last edited by dragon321; 21 January 2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
          Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu 19.10 Gnome shell, I was quite surprised that it works so badly on my notebook.
          In the past on this notebook I ran Unity without problems and lately Plasma. With Gnome shell I noticed pointer stutters when I opened the shell and the animations were jerky.
          My notebook is an acer aspire E1-522, the processor is perhaps the culprit, AMD quad core E2 3800 (1.30GHz), Amd Radeon HD 8280 graphics, 8Gb ram, 120Gb SSD.
          However I will try to redo the installation, because this situation seems strange to me. I know very well that Gnome shell is quite resource-consuming, but I thought it worked better.
          That processor is straight up not capable of running the heaps of high level code Gnome is built on. You should use anything else besides cinnamon or gnome and it should work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

All you have to do is visit extension.gnome.org and install extension by clicking one switch.
            Even better, extensions can get installed via Gnome Software under Add-ons section.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              There's no inability to use desktop icons in the Gnome desktop but you need to use an extension for that ?
              In that case I think we can also say that Gnome supports desktop icons very well by letting you delete it and install another DE that really supports that.
              In Ubuntu you get desktop icons by default. No user is going to notice that it's an extension.

Comment

Lets be honest, if we ignore the trolls from both sides of the spectrum, by comparing this thread to others around here, you immediately notice that there is something wrong with gnome3's user interface.

Few topics gather so many negative comments.

Considering that even those who use gnome3 don't really like it "as is" and find the need to make heavy modifications to get things working their way, I think we can all agree that the current user interface is not adequate and requires an overhaul.

I understand that the gnome foundation and some of their developers don't want to face reality and their man hood does not allow them to face the music. If they continue with the current user interface, eventually the gnome foundation and its developers will be the only ones using it.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                  bash2bash So why didn’t anyone roll their own session and shipped it on a distribution?

No sympathy for the 100% hate, 0% code kinda guys.
                  Other people DO do that. See KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, MATE.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                    Lets be honest, if we ignore the trolls from both sides of the spectrum, by comparing this thread to others around here, you immediately notice that there is something wrong with gnome3's user interface.

Few topics gather so many negative comments.

Considering that even those who use gnome3 don't really like it "as is" and find the need to make heavy modifications to get things working their way, I think we can all agree that the current user interface is not adequate and requires an overhaul.

I understand that the gnome foundation and some of their developers don't want to face reality and their man hood does not allow them to face the music. If they continue with the current user interface, eventually the gnome foundation and its developers will be the only ones using it.
                    It's divisive because it's different and people who try it for the first time are probably used to a Windows-esque style desktop. If you're looking for a Windows type workflow, GNOME is not for you and probably never will be.

I use GNOME with no extensions, I find it more usable than KDE, XFCE, Windows etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

In Ubuntu you get desktop icons by default. No user is going to notice that it's an extension.
                      Well said extension does have severe performance problems and is well known for causing gnome to leak memory like a hose. So they'll soon find out when they have to report it upstream to get told it's not supported.

Comment

Working...
                      X