No announcement yet.

GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all know Cinnamon is based on gnome3 and thats a good thing and nobody cares if their team is small or large. What really matters is the final result, Cinnamon is a beautiful environment that is easy to use and comes with little clutter. Exactly what I need.

And I am not the only one thinking like this. Look at the statistics, once Fedora came out with gnome3, it almost lost all its user base... they bottomed out in popularity. Eventually they had to create "spins" with alternative desktops like Cinnamon and Xfce, to get back some of their users.

Even Redhat employees don't like gnome3...

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
      I have much faster and more recent hardware and gnome is still an ugly stuttery mess, so its not an issue with your notebook.
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        that work well for most people in Windows and MacOS (and dare I say Linux) land
        I feel ancient saying this, but my modern Plasma desktop isn't much more than what Windows 2000 offered with some eye candy, a drop-down terminal, and a dark theme. I don't need more than that.

Comment

Its a fact, Redhat employees do not like the gnome3 user interface. Actually, not many people like it... which is why there are so many extensions to try to make it usable.

It is irrelevant that Redhat is backing gnome, we know they are backing it, but that does not mean they like it

Just for reference, I work with RHEL and CentOS, its my day job. At least my servers don't have a graphical interface, its SSH only... so I don't get to deal with the horrible gnome3 interface. My "user interface" these days is Ansible

Comment

Gnome Classic which Mimics Gnome2 was introduced in order to be usable for Redhat employees and its the default on Redhat.

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            bash2bash Sorry but that’s just wrong. Redhat is 100% backing GNOME on Fedora Workstation, CentOS and RHEL

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Wow, the desktop where is not possible to have desktop icons gets sharper wallpapers...
              Wow, this is really funny!
              There has never been support for desktop icons in the Gnome desktop shell. Not in Gnome Panel and not in Gnome Shell, until the appearance of the desktop icons extension. However, their file manager, Nautilus or Files, used to provide that function and there are many other file managers to choose from besides Nautilus.

There's no inability to use desktop icons in the Gnome desktop, just like there's no inability to use Firefox on KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

There has never been support for desktop icons in the Gnome desktop shell. Not in Gnome Panel and not in Gnome Shell, until the appearance of the desktop icons extension. However, their file manager, Nautilus or Files, used to provide that function and there are many other file managers to choose from besides Nautilus.

There's no inability to use desktop icons in the Gnome desktop, just like there's no inability to use Firefox on KDE.
                Are you joking or is this sarcasm?

There's no inability to use desktop icons in the Gnome desktop but you need to use an extension for that ?
                In that case I think we can also say that Gnome supports desktop icons very well by letting you delete it and install another DE that really supports that.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

You might be looking for this extension:
                  https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...desktop-icons/
                  Thnaks for sharing this, but for me this is a core feature that I want in every OS that I use.
                  Either is built-in and properly supported or it doesn't exist.
                  I don't have the time and the will to jump through hoops for core features like this.

Thanks again for the good will!

Comment

240Hz sorry but the Ubuntu Desktop just proved you wrong.
                    What the hell is ubuntu desktop? Are you talking about Gnome 3 with 2 extensions? This is not a new "desktop"

Comment

240Hz Sigh. It’s a special session to bring up the extensions, themes and so on.

Maintenance cost is < 1/10 of rolling your own complete stack.
                      ubuntu is using the gnome3 desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X