GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

Gnome is actually a copy of the Android mobile interface.
    *webOS

(almost)

The top bar is proof.

Comment

I would like there to be a beautiful wallpaper without blue hues so that it can be used on evenings without delaying melatonin release in the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

*webOS

(almost)

The top bar is proof.
        The mobile leauncher, huge headers and icons is another. But at least Android lets you place icons on your homescreen or change basic settings without third party tools , a luxury that you cannot find with Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I would like there to be a beautiful wallpaper without blue hues so that it can be used on evenings without delaying melatonin release in the brain.
          if you see your wallpaper for anywhere near long enough to affect melatonin release you are not using that system at all

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
            Until they change their interface, I'll keep using Cinnamon, which is modern, friendly and usable for my work needs. ...
            Modern is probably the last word to describe it IMHO. It sticks to well proven, extremely conservative work flows, established in Windows ~95. Gnome is way more modern in many aspects, but that doesn't mean it works better for everyone (for me it does).

The most modern thing about Cinnamon is the underlying technology - mostly Gnome 3. Or do I get things wrong here?

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

The mobile leauncher, huge headers and icons is another. But at least Android lets you place icons on your homescreen or change basic settings without third party tools , a luxury that you cannot find with Gnome.

Ughhhhh I hate that new Samsung phone icon :<
              I could spend an hour or so ranting on it... I mean, it looks terrible! Who designed that?! It is a serious regression over the older icon (which really looked like a phone (and this is why I have not upgraded my phone yet))... What are they even thinking?

Back to topic, yup, I do agree. But that's 'cuz GNOME is mainly touch-oriented (ironically it does not support touchscreens well).

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post

Modern is probably the last word to describe it IMHO. It sticks to well proven, extremely conservative work flows, established in Windows ~95. Gnome is way more modern in many aspects, but that doesn't mean it works better for everyone (for me it does).

The most modern thing about Cinnamon is the underlying technology - mostly Gnome 3. Or do I get things wrong here?
                Cinnamon uses a fork of Mutter and GJS but still uses GTK.

However I think their fork of Mutter is quite old and isn't very far along in terms of Wayland support.

Comment

Its ok to disagree. I believe Cinnamon is modern, it comes with lots of great features and yes many great things come from gnome3 (since its based on gnome3). I really like the dark theme, the transparencies and the window effects. Most importantly, it comes with "sane" defaults and I don't need to install anything extra. Finally, it allows me to customize it, for example I prefer the bar to be at the top with a specific height so its more usable on my ultra-wide screen monitors.

When I'm forced to use the gnome3 interface, I realize how unfriendly and unintuitive it is for me. Maybe its more friendly to people who come from a MacOS or similar interface.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                    Modern is probably the last word to describe it IMHO. It sticks to well proven, extremely conservative work flows, established in Windows ~95.
                    that work well for most people in Windows and MacOS (and dare I say Linux) land

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                      Personally I find the GNOME3 user interface rather horrible, a sad copy of MacOS, very unfriendly to power users and developers. But I do appreciate that the big players like Redhat and Canonical invest in a common desktop. Maybe in the future they'll invest in a more user friendly interface.

Until they change their interface, I'll keep using Cinnamon, which is modern, friendly and usable for my work needs. It is also my goto choice for all enterprise linux desktops that I manage and never heard any complaints (unlike gnome3's interface).

I'm glad Fedora comes in a Cinnamon spin!
                      Cinnamon is Gnome 3 with a lot of extensions enabled to default, maintained by a very small team. Arguably it is even worse than Gnome since uses much older (and therefore worse) Gnome code. You would be better off with gnome + dash to panel if you insist on this gtk ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                      X