GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu 19.10 Gnome shell, I was quite surprised that it works so badly on my notebook.
    In the past on this notebook I ran Unity without problems and lately Plasma. With Gnome shell I noticed pointer stutters when I opened the shell and the animations were jerky.
    My notebook is an acer aspire E1-522, the processor is perhaps the culprit, AMD quad core E2 3800 (1.30GHz), Amd Radeon HD 8280 graphics, 8Gb ram, 120Gb SSD.
    However I will try to redo the installation, because this situation seems strange to me. I know very well that Gnome shell is quite resource-consuming, but I thought it worked better.
    I have much faster and more recent hardware and gnome is still an ugly stuttery mess, so its not an issue with your notebook.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Isedonde There’s ~100 unmerged MRs on mutter and shell. Many MRs come from new developers. CI makes it a bit easier but things have to be up to standard. Remember GNOME is the Standard Linux Desktop
      fixed

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
        I have much faster and more recent hardware and gnome is still an ugly stuttery mess, so its not an issue with your notebook.
        I have garbage laptop sitting here and I know it would work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I have garbage laptop sitting here and I know it would work fine.
          what you know does not matter. It's what you try that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

You might be looking for this extension:
            https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...desktop-icons/
            A javascript hack to get basic desktop functionality. This does not even work out of the box without extra commands in the terminal. I thought Gnome is supposed to be user friendly?

Comment

G*ome is not standard in any way shape or form.
              You aren't required to agree with what is considered a standard. This is exactly the reason why so many people try making "the new standard". Nothing is the standard if everyone is making their own. A standard isn't required to be good.

Like it or not, GNOME is deemed the Linux standard desktop environment. Besides, if it isn't, what is? It can't be KDE, primarily because its priorities tend to revolve around principles rather than needs (it also just tends to be treated as a 2nd class citizen). Many DEs are either directly dependent upon or forked from GNOME. Seems a bit weird for a standard to rely on someone else's code, wouldn't you say? Everything else is either woefully incomplete, buggy, unpopular, or under-supported to be deemed a standard.

Keep in mind, I regularly use 4 different DEs, none of which are GNOME. So I'm not biased here when I say GNOME is the best choice to be the Linux standard, even if it isn't the best DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                However I will try to redo the installation, because this situation seems strange to me. I know very well that Gnome shell is quite resource-consuming, but I thought it worked better.
                The mouse cursor stuttering happens on Wayland every time gnome-shell does heavy computation, IO, or blocks for other reasons. Basically, the same thing that renders the UI, displays animations and manages window compositing also has to draw the mouse cursor (or at least update the position). If something deep down in gnome-shell takes more time than your monitor refresh interval (often ~16ms), the cursor stutters.

This is not an issue when choosing the X.org session at the login screen.

Daniel van Vugt wants to find all the cases where a frame takes >16ms to render, but that will probably take some time. Right now, he's trying to get a patch merged that will speed up rendering while hovering the pointer over the calendar and maybe other situations: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/983 , but the patch is stuck since 1 month because discussion about the possibility of fixing this in a library instead of mutter has stalled.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Like it or not, GNOME is deemed the Linux standard desktop environment. Besides, if it isn't, what is?
                  The lack of an official standard does not make GNOME a standard just because it is the most "finished" or most "independent".

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    GNOME need some level of gate keeping too. And stalling vanvugt MRs is really needed.
                    You should really not talk about code quality or any other topic you don't understand.

Comment

After a decade of work this single threaded javascript based DE will be almost usable in a few years. Congrats!
                      Are you serious? I always thought that thing was C. What part is Javascript? (Never used Gnome)

Comment

Working...
                      X