Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Phoronix: GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Canonical's Daniel Van Vugt continues working on a variety of interesting performance optimizations for upstream GNOME as well as other usability enhancements for this desktop environment. One of the latest items being tackled is improving the quality of background images on GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Another round of performance MRs sponsored by Canonical. Confirming 100% commitment to The Standard Linux Desktop. Let’s hope they get in shape for GNOME 3.36.

Cheers.
    fixed

Comment

Wow, the desktop where is not possible to have desktop icons gets sharper wallpapers...
      Wow, this is really funny!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        fixed
        G*ome is not standard in any way shape or form.

Comment

Another round of performance MRs sponsored by Canonical. Confirming 100% commitment to The Linux Desktop. Let’s hope they get in shape for GNOME 3.36.

Cheers.
          After a decade of work this single threaded javascript based DE will be almost usable in a few years. Congrats!

Comment

Michael I think you have the wrong version number in the last paragraph, the upcoming version is 3.36, not 3.34.

There are a few merge requests by van Vugt waiting to get merged (or reviewed at least) for a couple of weeks or maybe months already, looks like Gnome reviewers are super busy most of the time and they could really need more reviewers/maintainers for mutter. Hopefully they get around to reviewing those patches a bit earlier than last time, where a bunch of large and important van Vugt patches were merged literally on the day of the 3.34 freeze after rotting in gitlab for months, so they couldn't get any testing in early 3.33.x versions.

Comment

Another round of performance MRs sponsored by Canonical. Confirming 100% commitment to The Linux Desktop. Let’s hope they get in shape for GNOME 3.36.

Cheers.
              Even I'm not delusional enough to think anyone is committed to the Linux Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                G*ome is not standard in any way shape or form.
                That's what he wanted to write but was too afraid to.

Comment

Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu 19.10 Gnome shell, I was quite surprised that it works so badly on my notebook.
                  In the past on this notebook I ran Unity without problems and lately Plasma. With Gnome shell I noticed pointer stutters when I opened the shell and the animations were jerky.
                  My notebook is an acer aspire E1-522, the processor is perhaps the culprit, AMD quad core E2 3800 (1.30GHz), Amd Radeon HD 8280 graphics, 8Gb ram, 120Gb SSD.
                  However I will try to redo the installation, because this situation seems strange to me. I know very well that Gnome shell is quite resource-consuming, but I thought it worked better.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Wow, the desktop where is not possible to have desktop icons gets sharper wallpapers...
                    Wow, this is really funny!
                    You might be looking for this extension:

Comment

Working...
                    X