No announcement yet.

GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets be honest, if we ignore the trolls from both sides of the spectrum, by comparing this thread to others around here, you immediately notice that there is something wrong with gnome3's user interface.

Few topics gather so many negative comments.

Considering that even those who use gnome3 don't really like it "as is" and find the need to make heavy modifications to get things working their way, I think we can all agree that the current user interface is not adequate and requires an overhaul.

I understand that the gnome foundation and some of their developers don't want to face reality and their man hood does not allow them to face the music. If they continue with the current user interface, eventually the gnome foundation and its developers will be the only ones using it.

Comment

cynical Yeah. That extension is part of Ubuntu-session.

Comment

bash2bash So why didn’t anyone roll their own session and shipped it on a distribution?

No sympathy for the 100% hate, 0% code kinda guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          bash2bash So why didn’t anyone roll their own session and shipped it on a distribution?

No sympathy for the 100% hate, 0% code kinda guys.
          Other people DO do that. See KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, MATE.

Comment

abott That’s desktops not sessions to modify GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              Lets be honest, if we ignore the trolls from both sides of the spectrum, by comparing this thread to others around here, you immediately notice that there is something wrong with gnome3's user interface.

Considering that even those who use gnome3 don't really like it "as is" and find the need to make heavy modifications to get things working their way, I think we can all agree that the current user interface is not adequate and requires an overhaul.

I understand that the gnome foundation and some of their developers don't want to face reality and their man hood does not allow them to face the music. If they continue with the current user interface, eventually the gnome foundation and its developers will be the only ones using it.
              It's divisive because it's different and people who try it for the first time are probably used to a Windows-esque style desktop. If you're looking for a Windows type workflow, GNOME is not for you and probably never will be.

I use GNOME with no extensions, I find it more usable than KDE, XFCE, Windows etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

In Ubuntu you get desktop icons by default. No user is going to notice that it's an extension.
                Well said extension does have severe performance problems and is well known for causing gnome to leak memory like a hose. So they'll soon find out when they have to report it upstream to get told it's not supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Wow, the desktop where is not possible to have desktop icons gets sharper wallpapers...
                  Wow, this is really funny!
                  Android tends to compress wallpapers to JPEGs that look like garbage, and I think Windows drops the quality of wallpapers substantially as well. This really seems to be the industry standard, not having a properly looking wallpaper.

Comment

Britoid Said extension has its own upstream including bug tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

100% agree. I really tried to like gnome 3, but the constant bugs, severe performance issues and developers trying to force mobile UI paradigms down desktop user's throats made me give up on it eventually. It's sad how stubborn and short sighted the gnome developers are. Jamie Zawinski's criticism is just as relevant today as it was 17 years ago...

Comment

Working...
                      X