Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Work Is Underway For Sharper Background Images

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    starshipeleven All major distributors select GNOME by default. Only a couple actually develop it.
    fixed

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      Are you serious? I always thought that thing was C. What part is Javascript? (Never used Gnome)
      A lot of the "logic" is in Javascript, but the rendering is done in C.

      The Javascript really just tells the C code what to do. Animations for the most part are being done by code written in C.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
        Are you serious? I always thought that thing was C. What part is Javascript? (Never used Gnome)
        Don't give the trolls any credit. When you consider the compositor 90% of Gnome is C: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/boost...tu-19-10/13095

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
          Are you serious? I always thought that thing was C. What part is Javascript? (Never used Gnome)
          Half of Gnome-Shell is written in Javascript
          https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-shell

          Comment


          • #25
            I run KDE 1.1.2 on one of my desktops... its old and sketchy but its actually a desktop environment that *tries* to be a good desktop environment so right from the start is better than gnome has been in an eternity.

            I haven't tried KDE 2 but KDE itself probably peaked out in the 2.x - 3.5 range somewhere (3.5 is acutally a little bloated in that you need some sort of fast cpu or accelerator to render it rather than 1.1.2 which will run on an absolute potato. like 40Mhz an a framebuffer is enough).

            Comment


            • #26
              Personally I find the GNOME3 user interface rather horrible, a sad copy of MacOS, very unfriendly to power users and developers. But I do appreciate that the big players like Redhat and Canonical invest in a common desktop. Maybe in the future they'll invest in a more user friendly interface.

              Until they change their interface, I'll keep using Cinnamon, which is modern, friendly and usable for my work needs. It is also my goto choice for all enterprise linux desktops that I manage and never heard any complaints (unlike gnome3's interface).

              I'm glad Fedora comes in a Cinnamon spin!

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                You aren't required to agree with what is considered a standard. This is exactly the reason why so many people try making "the new standard". Nothing is the standard if everyone is making their own. A standard isn't required to be good.

                Like it or not, GNOME is deemed the Linux standard desktop environment. Besides, if it isn't, what is? It can't be KDE, primarily because its priorities tend to revolve around principles rather than needs (it also just tends to be treated as a 2nd class citizen). Many DEs are either directly dependent upon or forked from GNOME. Seems a bit weird for a standard to rely on someone else's code, wouldn't you say? Everything else is either woefully incomplete, buggy, unpopular, or under-supported to be deemed a standard.

                Keep in mind, I regularly use 4 different DEs, none of which are GNOME. So I'm not biased here when I say GNOME is the best choice to be the Linux standard, even if it isn't the best DE.
                Well said.

                As a KDE/Plasma user I'm reading a lot of these comments and thinking to myself "Do these people not realize just how much stuff is following Gnome's lead in design styles, uses/depends on their tools, and more?"; because when one uses "not Gnome", doesn't matter what, simply "not Gnome" is sufficient here, they realize that Gnome is the standard because that's what all the well funded & major decision making players use and, therefore, that's what most everything else follows and, depending on what distribution one uses, using "not Gnome" is more trouble than its worth if there isn't a "not Gnome" edition available.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
                  Personally I find the GNOME3 user interface rather horrible, a sad copy of MacOS, very unfriendly to power users and developers. But I do appreciate that the big players like Redhat and Canonical invest in a common desktop. Maybe in the future they'll invest in a more user friendly interface.

                  Until they change their interface, I'll keep using Cinnamon, which is modern, friendly and usable for my work needs. It is also my goto choice for all enterprise linux desktops that I manage and never heard any complaints (unlike gnome3's interface).

                  I'm glad Fedora comes in a Cinnamon spin!
                  Gnome is actually a copy of the Android mobile interface.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Anyone who cares can go to GNOME’s Gitlab and look it up.

                    Tons of work from all major distributors
                    Not really

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      As a KDE/Plasma user I'm reading a lot of these comments and thinking to myself "Do these people not realize just how much stuff is following Gnome's lead in design styles, uses/depends on their tools, and more?";
                      GNOME's "design style" is a mix of Windows 8 and MacOS, applications using GTK aren't using the actual Standard Linux Desktop GNOME but a desktop toolkit developed by the same people.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X