Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.18 Seeing More Last Minute Work To Make It One Of Their Best Releases Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaython View Post
    Can phoronix please poop out some desktop environment benchmarks?
    Want to know ram usage and cpu cycles of each. Not just of the DE but with its native apps open.
    So the DE that has more "native apps" will use more RAM? I'm not sure about your logic here.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      starshipeleven There’s nothing to troll about. It’s already settled business.
      Let us be the judges of that.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        240Hz is a counter-troll... 144Hz is the original troll.
        Who gives a fart? It's intellectual pollution and who does it must be really disturbed in his pathetic brain.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Who gives a fart? It's intellectual pollution and who does it must be really disturbed in his pathetic brain.
          "intellectual pollution"?

Comment

qarium well done
            trolololololo

Comment

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.18 Seeing More Last Minute Work To Make It One Of Their Best Releases Ever This past week KDE Plasma 5.18 reached beta for this next long-term support release of the modern KDE desktop. While it's approaching the finish line next month, developers have not let up on more improvements in making this one

I believe that's why gnome used less ram than xfce, more native apps.
              The difference was pretty minimal however.
              You should interpret my request as not just the shell running but common applications such as a file manager, a terminal, a web browser, virt manager or other common utility... I didn't mean every application should run in one and not the other. I meant the default file manager for each etc. Dolphin uses much more ram than nautilus in my experience...
              Similar to Forbes testing but a round up of many popular de and inclusive of cpu cycles.
              When I say 'Xfce,' it’s a good bet you think about a lean, responsive Linux desktop environment that’s particularly light on system memory usage. What about when I say 'KDE?' Prepare for some surprises. . .

​​​Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Then stop polluting this thread.

Comment

240Hz Watch your language. The first CSDed XFCE 4.15 dev version is already released

Stable XFCE 4.16 is planned for June
                  Xfeces uses twice as much ram since it switched to GTK3. This hodgepodge DE is dead on arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaython View Post
                    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...07#post1153707

I believe that's why gnome used less ram than xfce, more native apps.
                    The difference was pretty minimal however.
                    You should interpret my request as not just the shell running but common applications such as a file manager, a terminal, a web browser, virt manager or other common utility... I didn't mean every application should run in one and not the other. I meant the default file manager for each etc. Dolphin uses much more ram than nautilus in my experience...
                    Similar to Forbes testing but a round up of many popular de and inclusive of cpu cycles.
                    When I say 'Xfce,' it’s a good bet you think about a lean, responsive Linux desktop environment that’s particularly light on system memory usage. What about when I say 'KDE?' Prepare for some surprises. . .

​​​Thanks
                    What do you mean "native apps"? Apps are written on top of Qt or Gtk+. With the help of the likes of KDE Frameworks.
                    That makes it hard to judge how much an app actually weighs: it may appear to use less RAM because the underlying widgets and stuff are already loaded by the OS.
                    So if you see one DE eating 400MB RAM on startup and 600MB with the file browser open, while the other DE uses 450MB on startup and 550MB with the file manager open, that doesn't necessarily mean the second file manager is leaner. It's a strong hint, don't get me wrong, but it's not a surefire way to tell.

And then there's a matter of how much functionality you get for those MB of RAM.

Honestly, if you're curious about those numbers, I think it would be better to measure them yourself and of them what you want. I think there's no way for Michael to present those numbers in a way that won't start a flame war because he missed something, he didn't measure right or that he favored one party over another.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      You need a USB-i2C adapter https://github.com/harbaum/I2C-Tiny-USB
                      and then you can communicate with an accelerometer https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-...meter-adxl345/

but I'm not sure how can you make this work with Linux's own infrastructure (i.e. without using a python script), maybe you need to write a kernel module for that?
                      Just make it a USB HID class compliant device. No special driver needed then.

In fact, most Laptops with accelerometers (2-in-1s) use HID-over-I2C, i.e. the USB physical and signaling layer is replaced with I2C, but the report data is the one stemming from USB HID.

Comment

Working...
                      X