Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.18 Seeing More Last Minute Work To Make It One Of Their Best Releases Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    duby229 I don’t care about KDE. It’s just nice that KDE changed strategy and fixed the obvious bugs rather than claiming SSD only.

And with XFCE’s recent endorsement of CSD I consider this case closed.
    You do care about KDE, subconsciously.
    Otherwise you wouldn't be insulting them with "CLA" and "C++".

Or even posting here.

Comment

BTW the improved CSD support was implemented by a Blue Systems employee, not anyone associated with Canonical. Further visual improvements came from an unpaid community member.

Comment

Yeah. All that GTK support work was done by Plasma (KDE team). I think literally the only thing that wasn't was the color changing support in GTK (Which was exposed in 5.17 so that the QT color scheme could match the breeze-gtk theme, but ended up being disabled because of the GTK color changing functionality broken for checkboxes and other widgets), though not sure if that's what ngraham is referring to there.
        Last edited by Baguy; 19 January 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Using XFCE atm, I might install Plasma5 again sometime in the future. Plasma is easier to configure, but I do like some of the hacky features of xfce.

Comment

Can phoronix please poop out some desktop environment benchmarks?
            Want to know ram usage and cpu cycles of each. Not just of the DE but with its native apps open.

Comment

The GTK-CSD stuff is cool.
              But it's under a CLA. ZOMG!!!!!1111

Comment

duby229 I don’t care about KDE.
                And yet there's no KDE thread without your "contributions"

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  Nice improvements here and there, as always

Can I put an accelerometer on my desktop screen with an Arduino or other simple sensor? I often rotate it vertically...

As a side note, I put a few sway keybindings (meta+alt+arrow) to rotate it (meta+ctrl+arrow to change the screen current window is displayed on, meta + arrow to change focus, meta+shift+arrow to change window position, etc). I wish KDE's keybindings were a bit more consistent, but lately they just took in the haphazard and legacy windows one. While I understand the rationale, this is messy. There are a lot of shortcuts with Alt for instance, that some apps (blender, for instance) expect. After getting used to meta+click to drag, I do not see a valid reason to put it on alt, as meta seems to be the de-facto standard for compositor or desktop-wide shortcuts. How about using the newly-introduced telemetry to get the list of shortcuts people change?

I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to unify the style of these checkboxes and Dolphin's selection menu ?
                  Yeah, I wish their default shortcuts were more consistent too. But at last I'm very grateful that you can make any shortcuts you want and even backup them, contrary to a certain popular OS that have "sacred" shortcuts that you are not allowed to change...

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Can I put an accelerometer on my desktop screen with an Arduino or other simple sensor? I often rotate it vertically...
                    You need a USB-i2C adapter https://github.com/harbaum/I2C-Tiny-USB
                    and then you can communicate with an accelerometer https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-...meter-adxl345/

but I'm not sure how can you make this work with Linux's own infrastructure (i.e. without using a python script), maybe you need to write a kernel module for that?

Comment

Britoid Agree. That should have ended 5 years ago. At least it ends now..
                      It ends when all people that want to use it to troll are gone. It's not the case so far

Comment

Working...
                      X