No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.18 LTS Reaches Beta With Much Better GTK App Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats quite a nice upgrade for the LTS users..

The only thing i despise is the new notification icon. It is basically useless, as the bell is ringing from start till shutdown.... I'd really like to see an option for the old number system. Also the bell for notification is a stupid design but thats another story...

Comment

Wonderful release but I hope that the Support for GTK applications using client-side decorations doesn't mean that the GTK application decide themselves whatever design crap they want to display on my system instead of respecting my wishes that I've set in the control panel, like the "Window decorations".
      I've already set a Windows k10 Window decoration preference because I want big rectangular window control buttons (minimize maximize, close) instead of the small round ones, so i can more quickly pinpoint them and click them.
      The titlebar buttons show as I want with QT programs from KDE and even with GTK programs like Firefox, but still there are some stupid programs that don't respect my wishes and they decide by themselves to show the small round buttons again for the window control buttons.
      Plus sometimes they have even the hamburger menu icon in the titlebar, which I hate because I want to be able to grab and drag the titlebar from everywhere except the right side with the window control buttons. I don't want to waste time to look for other crap on my titlebar.
      One of these badly designed programs is Remmina and I hope that these client side decorations doesn't mean that more programs with come with this crap.
      Anyway, big congratulations and many thanks to all the KDE developers!
      You're doing a great job and I really appreciate all your work.
      KDE is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post

HighDpi/Fractal scaling is also not really working, that's something more important, at least for me.
        This is also an area which is not exported into GTK.
        Fractional scaling works really well in Plasma when using Wayland. It doesn't work so well in Xorg, because it only tells QT to scale itself, instead of the whole display output like in Wayland.

For me, Wayland works well enough to use as a daily driver now. There's still a few bugs once in a while, but nothing too major. The window focus bug i've had issues with before has gone away now that I've set "show window thumnails" to "always" (i did try that in the past, but it didn't work, but with 5.17 and .17.90 it seems to work now).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Wonderful release but I hope that the Support for GTK applications using client-side decorations doesn't mean that the GTK application decide themselves whatever design crap they want to display on my system instead of respecting my wishes that I've set in the control panel, like the "Window decorations".
          I've already set a Windows k10 Window decoration preference because I want big rectangular window control buttons (minimize maximize, close) instead of the small round ones, so i can more quickly pinpoint them and click them.
          The titlebar buttons show as I want with QT programs from KDE and even with GTK programs like Firefox, but still there are some stupid programs that don't respect my wishes and they decide by themselves to show the small round buttons again for the window control buttons.
          Plus sometimes they have even the hamburger menu icon in the titlebar, which I hate because I want to be able to grab and drag the titlebar from everywhere except the right side with the window control buttons. I don't want to waste time to look for other crap on my titlebar.
          One of these badly designed programs is Remmina and I hope that these client side decorations doesn't mean that more programs with come with this crap.
          Anyway, big congratulations and many thanks to all the KDE developers!
          You're doing a great job and I really appreciate all your work.
          KDE is awesome!
          If you don't agree with the design decisions a developer made, you're more than welcome to not use their software.

No one has to respect you, you're entititled to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

If you don't agree with the design decisions a developer made, you're more than welcome to not use their software.

Luckily the Plasma gods currently protect us from developers with poor taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Luckily the Plasma gods currently protect us from developers with poor taste.
              brb, just gagged reading this.

Comment

I'm not saying that I don't agree with all the design decision a developer has made, I'm just saying that they should leave the damn window titlebar to be handled by the operating system where I can do some design decision for all programs to follow, the ones that are part of the operating system and the ones that I install from somewhere else.
                Is it really that much for them to make all the changes they want inside the window's content and leave the window titlebar alone ?
                If i install 100 programs, it doesn't mean that I want to use 100 different designs just to make a mess and guess everytime where I need to click or grab and drag.

And I think I forgot about it, but I found a replacement for Remmina with a program that respects the design of the OS with my customizations and it's called KRDC.

Comment

Might wanna get that checked out...

Comment

Try reading with your eyes. Printing the comments and then eating them is generally not a recommended method of reading.

Comment

I will upgrade from Kubuntu 18.04 LTS with KDE 5.12 LTS to Kubuntu 20.04 LTS with KDE 15.18 LTS. Ofcourse after July, when the .1 revision will be released. Ultimate stability is my thing :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X