X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Congrats to the lucky winner! You are the first in this thread to completely miss his point (he is talking of GNU/Linux aka "Linux desktop") and talk of Android because "Linux is a kernel lolololololol !11!!!1!"
    I'd like to thank the Academy and all my fellow actors and actresses, my mother for her undying devotion and for driving me to band practice for the first 32 years of my life, my dog Muffie, my ex-girlfriend from 5th grade for motivating me to be a Phoronix Oscar Award Winner....

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    derp -- android -- billions of devices running a linux kernel -- derpy derp
    Congrats to the lucky winner! You are the first in this thread to completely miss his point (he is talking of GNU/Linux aka "Linux desktop") and talk of Android because "Linux is a kernel lolololololol !11!!!1!"

Leave a comment:

• andre30correia
    replied
    unity 7 was the best desktop out there, no one compares with it, stable and fast, and ofc simple to use, I put it in old ppl and they use it without problems. I miss the unity from 16.04, nobody else make such pro desktop in linux world, gnome with ubuntu is not bad but its not the same, kde is a mess of things, the others are not profissional or look like desktop from last century

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post
    but if we're real, linux on mobile is not, and will never be, a thing
    derp -- android -- billions of devices running a linux kernel -- derpy derp

"Oh, but android isn't real linux, it's not what I meant, you totally don't know linux or mobile, it's a specialized kernel, blah blah blah..."

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    I don't think Unity 7 was mobile-first.
    It didn't start like that. It started because GNOME 3 was a dumpster fire (more than it is now, anyway) and GNOME 2 was not supported anymore. They wanted something they could control.

Then the time when "convergence" was trendy came and they tried to make it convergent with Unity 8.

Too many sales pitches for Linux are, "It's like Windows, but doesn't do as much of the things you want as Windows!" This was an attempt to make the Linux desktop a separate product that wasn't constantly compared to Windows.
    Different GUIs won't change this simple fact and I still don't think Canonical people are this retarded.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 14 January 2020, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael_S
    replied
    I don't think Unity 7 was mobile-first. I think they just attempted to make something user-friendly for desktop. That UI wouldn't be pleasant on mobile - there's no equivalent to the super key, and that's the primary way of hotkeying around in Unity! To support that, if you read about Ubuntu Touch or watch use videos you can see that the way users interact with it is wildly different from Unity 7.

Canonical didn't make Unity for mobile ideas and convergence, they were trying to make a user interface that was usable but not a knock-off of OS X or Windows 7. Too many sales pitches for Linux are, "It's like Windows, but doesn't do as much of the things you want as Windows!" This was an attempt to make the Linux desktop a separate product that wasn't constantly compared to Windows. I think they botched the execution, but I respect the attempt.

The truth of the matter is that Unity 7 has been the most performant, solid and glitch free desktop environment available to linux for a long time, perhaps since Ubuntu 14.04.
    Unfortunately, no. Unity 7 hung and crashed for me in every Ubuntu release until 16.04. I liked the Unity UI - especially once the option to put the minimize/maximize/close buttons back on the top right side of a window was restored. So with each new Ubuntu release I would install it, use it for a few weeks, and then give up and reinstall some other Linux distribution that had a stable desktop.

I would have been a Unity evangelist if not for that. The only time it was stable for me was 16.04, which was shortly before Canonical stopped working on it.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    The truth of the matter is that Unity 7 has been the most performant, solid and glitch free desktop environment available to linux for a long time, perhaps since Ubuntu 14.04. Its real downfall has been the fact it's basically built on compiz, and compiz will never be rewired to be a wayland compositor. As a result, even tough there's an enthusiastic community still making sure it works well on newer ubuntu releases, there's little future for it.

I appreciate what the ubports people are doing with Unity 8, but if we're real, linux on mobile is not, and will never be, a thing. As a computer desktop environment it could gain traction however, but every month that passes without an usable (let alone installable) version of it, the Unity 7 folk drift away to other DEs.
    Unity 7's approach of force loading libraries into applications in order to make them use Unity features was pretty dumb and wouldn't of survived to the sandboxed or GTK4 era.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    The truth of the matter is that Unity 7 has been the most performant, solid and glitch free desktop environment available to linux for a long time, perhaps since Ubuntu 14.04. Its real downfall has been the fact it's basically built on compiz, and compiz will never be rewired to be a wayland compositor. As a result, even tough there's an enthusiastic community still making sure it works well on newer ubuntu releases, there's little future for it.

I appreciate what the ubports people are doing with Unity 8, but if we're real, linux on mobile is not, and will never be, a thing. As a computer desktop environment it could gain traction however, but every month that passes without an usable (let alone installable) version of it, the Unity 7 folk drift away to other DEs.

Leave a comment:

• mariogrip
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I applaud you but you still get paid, right, I mean you still have to eat.
    Well yeah, I do need that to survive What I mean we don't take decision based on maximize our monetary gain, sure we need money but money is not our motivation.

For myself, If i would do this for the money, i would work somewhere else and earn much more.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by mariogrip View Post

Power of the community, our objective is not to make money, our objective is to create something for the community. Our success is not measured in popularity or monetary gain. We do this to create alternative to the community, no matter the size be 10 or 10 million.
    I applaud you but you still get paid, right, I mean you still have to eat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X