• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144hz View Post
    cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla cla
    Shut up. Go away.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Congrats to the lucky winner! You are the first in this thread to completely miss his point (he is talking of GNU/Linux aka "Linux desktop") and talk of Android because "Linux is a kernel lolololololol !11!!!1!"
      He's not wrong. Except for my current phone, I've ran a full KDE desktop from Arch Linux Arm on all my phones via VNC and everything works. Android has a Linux kernel and is full of Linux/Unix binaries and tools and can run Linux desktops and Linux applications without a problem. Android is just Linux without the GNU/ part.

Android/Linux....GNU/Linux.....

Either way, Linux is at the heart of the system and either one will run my Plasma desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        He's not wrong. Except for my current phone, I've ran a full KDE desktop from Arch Linux Arm on all my phones via VNC and everything works.
        Sorry sir, you are too late, we have one lucky winner already.

Either way, Linux is at the heart of the system and either one will run my Plasma desktop.
        Stuff running in a chroot (that usually requires a rooted device to work decently in modern Android afaik) seen through a VNC app, is a far cry from a usable and practical system for most people.

The point was actually have the "Linux Desktop" be a first class citizen in the mobile space. You are comparing a custom crappy hack to something like Purism 5 or the Pine Phone

Comment

Congrats to the lucky winner! You are the first in this thread to completely miss his point (he is talking of GNU/Linux aka "Linux desktop") and talk of Android because "Linux is a kernel lolololololol !11!!!1!"
          I wouldn't even call Android a single operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            I wouldn't even call Android a single operating system.
            Android is more "Operating System" than "Linux Desktop". In the sense that the userspace part is much more monolithic and standardized, it is also provided more or less as-is by a single source.

Most hacks are under the hood to interface it with the hacked kernel and blobs that actually run the hardware.

Comment

Sorry sir, you are too late, we have one lucky winner already.

Stuff running in a chroot (that usually requires a rooted device to work decently in modern Android afaik) seen through a VNC app, is a far cry from a usable and practical system for most people.

The point was actually have the "Linux Desktop" be a first class citizen in the mobile space. You are comparing a custom crappy hack to something like Purism 5 or the Pine Phone
              Well, it's very usable. I'll use OpenOffice or Kate in a VNC over 99% of all native Android document editors. Document editing on Android sucks. I never claimed it to be practical, but it is usable and does work well for my needs.

The problem with that is we really need one of those projects to partially merge with Android for their drivers, telephony stack, and application support. Mobile Linux doesn't mean dick if phone calls can't be made (why Android tablets don't sell very well) and peoples' standard mobile games aren't available.

Comment

Android is more "Operating System" than "Linux Desktop". In the sense that the userspace part is much more monolithic and standardized, it is also provided more or less as-is by a single source.

Most hacks are under the hood to interface it with the hacked kernel and blobs that actually run the hardware.
                Android kicks some ass at the read-only root department. Fedora Silverblue is trying to do the same thing only replacing the Play store with Flatpak.

Comment

His custom crappy hack actually works and makes him a happy crappy hacker, and can be easily replicated. So your "custom crappy hack" crack-back is not all it's cracked up to be.

Let us know when "the year of the Desktop Linux on mobile that doesn't look anything like android" arrives. I'm thinking my neckbeard is going to be very long and very white.

Comment

"why Android tablets don't sell very well"
                    A hundred million granny boomers are reading your comments on their Kindles right now...

Comment

Android kicks some ass at the read-only root department. Fedora Silverblue is trying to do the same thing only replacing the Play store with Flatpak.
                      You're confusing a package format and application store.

Comment

Working...
                      X