Unity 8 Desktop On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Could Take A Year Before Being Usable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 Desktop On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Could Take A Year Before Being Usable

Phoronix: Unity 8 Desktop On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Could Take A Year Before Being Usable

While Canonical no longer develops their Unity 8 stack for Ubuntu, the UBports crew continues advancing Ubuntu Touch mobile as a community project and as part of that they do work on Unity 8 for their devices and desktop support. But if you're hoping to see Unity 8 running nicely on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, that could be a while...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Unity8 and Touch represents the worst of open source.

This bag of failure is a blend of CLA and NIH. Only to be killed off when Canonical realized how bad it was.
    I still don't understand why Unity even exists to begin with.

It was made for netbooks, but I installed it on my Eee PC when it was new, it ran like absolute garbage, it was borderline unusable. I felt like I was witnessing the emperor's new clothes. I just didn't see the logic in it.

Comment

This bag of failure is a blend of CLA and NIH. Only to be killed off when Canonical realized how bad it was.
      Canonical killed it because there's zero money to be made in the Linux desktop and making a desktop (and reinventing the wheel all the time) comes at a huge cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        I still don't understand why Unity even exists to begin with.

It was made for netbooks,
        No it was part of the push towards convergence, aka their foray into mobile devices. Once that project failed they dropped the ball on Unity too.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          Canonical killed it because there's zero money to be made in the Linux desktop and making a desktop (and reinventing the wheel all the time) comes at a huge cost.
          I'm far from the first Canonical supporter but I'd like to remind that they aren't this retarded, it was supposed to be used in mobile and embedded devices, desktop was secondary.

Comment

This sounds like someone else today

but that being said, we have no CLA at ubports nor have we had any NIH since we took over. we are going as most upstream as we can trying to replace everything we can with maintained stuff, but it would be NIH to start over again and not use what canonical has made.

Comment

I think the work done by the Ubports crew in pushing Ubuntu Touch forward has been really impressive.

With the PinePhone we should see that work reach many more people, hopefully including some who might get involved in development.

The Ubports messaging has also been really refreshing. Clear in their aims, clear about their limitations and welcoming to newcomers.

Comment

I wish ubports all the best, they have a real positive attitude and they deserve it. However I'm afraid they're beating a dead horse.

Comment

Originally posted by padraic7a View Post
                  I think the work done by the Ubports crew in pushing Ubuntu Touch forward has been really impressive.

With the PinePhone we should see that work reach many more people, hopefully including some who might get involved in development.

The Ubports messaging has also been really refreshing. Clear in their aims, clear about their limitations and welcoming to newcomers.
                  Thanks you
                  We are super exited about the PinePhone! It will be an awesome development platform

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    I wish ubports all the best, they have a real positive attitude and they deserve it. However I'm afraid they're beating a dead horse.
                    Power of the community, our objective is not to make money, our objective is to create something for the community. Our success is not measured in popularity or monetary gain. We do this to create alternative to the community, no matter the size be 10 or 10 million.

Comment

Working...
                    X