Unity 8 Desktop On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Could Take A Year Before Being Usable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Yeah sure, that's why you can run Android applications on a linux desktop distro or do the reverse without shipping the whole goddamn userspace of the OS in a container and do shenanigans for hardware support and use VNC to see the screen, no wait.

Having SOME OS components in common does not make them similar enough to matter, just as you can't run Debian packages on Arch without some shims or modifications. Good luck running any normal Linux application on OpenWrt either, and that's not as alien as Android either.

Meanwhile you can run Arch packages in Manjaro, or Debian packages in Ubuntu.

So, someone is a derivative and someone is just sharing some OS components but it is NOT the same fucking thing and anyone bunching everything together is disineguous
    Lighten up and learn to not be so damn serious all the time.

Do they all run the same kernel and have similar low level tools? Then they're all part of the Linux family and Unix legacy.

It's when we go beyond that and add package management, maybe a GUI, project standards with goals and leadership, and more does something go from Linux and some tools to Yet Another Operating System Based On The Linux Kernel. But they're all Linux at heart and that's all my point was.

It's because there is no standard for Linux in regards to anything....ANYTHING...that means that any system that uses the Linux kernel is a Linux OS.

Comment

The first 3 comments in here are just loud and bitter loaded with frustration (I'm being polite for comment approval) trying to extrapolate their small opinion as a generality. Some people are really frustrated.

You're not the judge of what's the worst of open source, supposedly poor choices, or of why it exists. It's just your own little opinion. Don't try and make it bigger than what it is.

Lots of people loved Unity and would want it to keep being developed, deal with it. It was the best for their workflow, just as "insert DE" is the best for yours. Lots of people also don't like it and it's a choice Unity users are fine with. Please look into your own and let others be. Such closed-mindedness, that's just bad.

Edit: Comment now approved.
      Last edited by Mez'; 15 January 2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven
        Freeing Android is easier, but that LineageOS is slowly dying while dozens of "let's fail hard on mobile" projects appear
        LineageOS is dying? What makes you say that? It’s unfortunate news if true because it’s the only way I could use android without feeling like Google is violating me fifty different ways...

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
          LineageOS is dying? What makes you say that? It’s unfortunate news if true because it’s the only way I could use android without feeling like Google is violating me fifty different ways...
          The rate of new devices added to devices EOL is in favor of the latter. If it keeps going on like this it will support only a handful of devices in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Do they all run the same kernel and have similar low level tools? Then they're all part of the Linux family and Unix legacy.
            We were not talking of the happy Linux and Unix family though, but of how something resembling Linux desktop has no foot and will never have any foot on mobile.

But they're all Linux at heart and that's all my point was.

It's because there is no standard for Linux in regards to anything....ANYTHING...that means that any system that uses the Linux kernel is a Linux OS.
            happy feelings of inclusion don't belong here, get some friends and family if you feel alone and stop trying to see happy families in stuff that is not even a living being.

What matters here is useful categorization.

Saying Android is similar to a random PC distro just because they use the same kernel is bullshit as the two are completely different systems catering to completely different userbase in a completely different hardware environment.

What you are saying is irrelevant for most people, and it only gives the wrong impression about what can be actually done in practice. So while it's technically true it's not the whole truth.

Comment

We were not talking of the happy Linux and Unix family though, but of how something resembling Linux desktop has no foot and will never have any foot on mobile.

happy feelings of inclusion don't belong here, get some friends and family if you feel alone and stop trying to see happy families in stuff that is not even a living being.

What matters here is useful categorization.

Saying Android is similar to a random PC distro just because they use the same kernel is bullshit as the two are completely different systems catering to completely different userbase in a completely different hardware environment.

What you are saying is irrelevant for most people, and it only gives the wrong impression about what can be actually done in practice. So while it's technically true it's not the whole truth.
              Nothing resembling any PC OS desktop has taken off on mobile. So what's your point?

Categorization...like the kernel used (same), uses standard UNIX tools (yes), package management (different), interface style (different). If we went to Distrowatch, they'd all be under the "Linux" category and from there they'd be in different categories based on package management, interfaces, licenses, etc.

But they're still all part of the Linux family and are all part of the Unix legacy.

Saying Android or FireOS isn't part of the Linux family and Unix legacy is like saying that Windows CE (or Phone) or Windows Embedded aren't part of the Windows family because they aren't designed for desktop PCs and cater to a different userbase on different hardware. They're still part of the Windows Family and DOS Legacy.

99% of what we discuss on Phoronix is irrelevant for most people, let alone comparing devices based on kernel and tools. Only fucktard dorks like us even give a shit. That was a really stupid line to use to win an argument here.

Comment

The rate of new devices added to devices EOL is in favor of the latter. If it keeps going on like this it will support only a handful of devices in a few years.
                Hell, I'll port something if I have to lol. I'm definitely keeping my eye on Purism/Pinephone because I'm not a very demanding phone user and I'd rather have full open-source Linux device, but if those projects aren't satisfactory I know enough about Android/Java to make something work. I prefer Java actually. I just don't like being dependent on anything Google, even if their experience is better. So torn...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Nothing resembling any PC OS desktop has taken off on mobile. So what's your point?
                  Exactly that? I was just explaining the statement of someone else to people, and he meant exactly that.

Categorization...like the kernel used (same), uses standard UNIX tools (yes), package management (different), interface style (different).
                  Android does not use standard Unix tools. They might have or not Busybox (usually not) but they don't use it in stock ROM, most config is declarative and read by binary applications, not scripts.

If we went to Distrowatch
                  you would see they don't even list actual Android in there. They only have Android-x86.

Also, are you seriously calling Distrowatch?

But they're still all part of the Linux family and are all part of the Unix legacy.
                  this is irrelevant because the end result is so different that they might as well be completely different OSes.

Saying Android or FireOS isn't part of the Linux family and Unix legacy
                  I never said that, I said that this categorization is worthless because I have wildly different things in it. The entire point of useful categorization is to join together things that are similar.

99% of what we discuss on Phoronix is irrelevant for most people
                  This is completely tangential to what I said. In 99.9% of the times when someone says "Linux" or "Windows" he is talking of the desktop OS with its capabilities and not all its legacy forms and embedded hackeries.

Comment

I was hoping to switch to 20.04 when it comes out later this year, and not have to install Unity DE. Fingers crossed that GNOME has matured enough.

Comment

Originally posted by OMTDesign View Post
                      I was hoping to switch to 20.04 when it comes out later this year, and not have to install Unity DE. Fingers crossed that GNOME has matured enough.
                      It's pretty good but performance still needs work. It's a nice experience on the desktop, but if you have a lot of windows open like me, then it can struggle a bit on a thin and light laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X