Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

Phoronix: Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

Several months ago we learned of the Xfce 4.16 plans to drop GTK2 support and explore client-side decoration goals among other changes for this lightweight desktop environment release expected in late 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bet alot of people will be flocking away from XFCE with these changes.

Comment

I doubt there will be many fleeing Xfce. Gnomes problems stem from a different source than the Gtk3 libraries.

Comment

GTK3 support means Wayland support, which could attract additional audience.
        OTOH Enlightenment has gotten pretty good these days...
        Last edited by Brane215; 13 January 2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          I doubt there will be many fleeing Xfce. Gnomes problems stem from a different source than the Gtk3 libraries.
          I'm referring to the CSD. Quite a few people don't like that.

Comment

I'm an old dude, who likes 'legacy', stuff I guess. I don't see the point of CSD. To me it seems like a waste of system resources. Instead of having a window manager that manages the decorations on each window, we now will have each client draw its own? So does this mean it's going to be like Windows, where some apps have the native decorations while every third-party app has some dorky-looking non-native totally different decorations? I'll crawl back under my X11 rock now

Comment

Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
              I'm an old dude, who likes 'legacy', stuff I guess. I don't see the point of CSD. To me it seems like a waste of system resources. Instead of having a window manager that manages the decorations on each window, we now will have each client draw its own? So does this mean it's going to be like Windows, where some apps have the native decorations while every third-party app has some dorky-looking non-native totally different decorations? I'll crawl back under my X11 rock now
              MacOS uses client side decoration too. X11 is considered as a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

MacOS uses client side decoration too. X11 is considered as a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.
                Windows waits until you're not looking then restarts and spends hours updating too. Package management systems are a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.

Comment

TL;DR: I think the best solution would be a flag like "disable CSD" in Xfce window manager settings.

I get that the oldies like legacy stuff, I also was one of the anti-CSD as I've always loved the "do one thing and do it well" unix philosophy. But it's like 10 years that screens are getting shorter and larger, so we need to waste as less vertical space as possibile, and we need CSD for that.

At workplace I've a 16:10 monitor and I've refused to get it replaces by a new larger Full HD monitor as the new one would have been 16:9, but for home-use I've lost any hope.

Comment

Michael I get why you have an approval queue for posts, but shouldn't we be able to edit them before approval? I've made grammar errors and I can't fix them, I get "Error
                    • You are not authorized to update this post."

Comment

Working...
                    X