Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

    Phoronix: Xfce 4.16 Is Making Good Progress On Utilizing GTK3 Client-Side Decorations

    Several months ago we learned of the Xfce 4.16 plans to drop GTK2 support and explore client-side decoration goals among other changes for this lightweight desktop environment release expected in late 2020...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...6-CSD-Progress

  • #2
    Bet alot of people will be flocking away from XFCE with these changes.

    Comment


    • #3
      I doubt there will be many fleeing Xfce. Gnomes problems stem from a different source than the Gtk3 libraries.

      Comment


      • #4
        GTK3 support means Wayland support, which could attract additional audience.
        OTOH Enlightenment has gotten pretty good these days...
        Last edited by Brane215; 01-13-2020, 10:53 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
          I doubt there will be many fleeing Xfce. Gnomes problems stem from a different source than the Gtk3 libraries.
          I'm referring to the CSD. Quite a few people don't like that.

          Comment


          • #6
            i switched from Kubuntu to Fedora because of CLA-war ... and news like this just show that "gnome" won the CLA war
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

            Comment


            • #7
              Wise choice. Like it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm an old dude, who likes 'legacy', stuff I guess. I don't see the point of CSD. To me it seems like a waste of system resources. Instead of having a window manager that manages the decorations on each window, we now will have each client draw its own? So does this mean it's going to be like Windows, where some apps have the native decorations while every third-party app has some dorky-looking non-native totally different decorations? I'll crawl back under my X11 rock now

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by willbprog177 View Post
                  I'm an old dude, who likes 'legacy', stuff I guess. I don't see the point of CSD. To me it seems like a waste of system resources. Instead of having a window manager that manages the decorations on each window, we now will have each client draw its own? So does this mean it's going to be like Windows, where some apps have the native decorations while every third-party app has some dorky-looking non-native totally different decorations? I'll crawl back under my X11 rock now
                  MacOS uses client side decoration too. X11 is considered as a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by finalzone View Post

                    MacOS uses client side decoration too. X11 is considered as a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.
                    Windows waits until you're not looking then restarts and spends hours updating too. Package management systems are a relic unsuitable to modern system and currently under maintenance.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X