Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Highlights Of Wine 5.0 From FAudio Integration To Vulkan 1.1 + A Ton Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    when a user will be able to plug a game based on microsoft runniing it without any other instance, then wine will worth the effort.
    For a lot of games, Lutris works pretty well. It's not as easy as running the games on Windows, but it's pretty user-friendly.

Edit: To add some detail, Lutris is a program for managing game installs on Linux. It can handle native Linux games, games through Steam, and games running on Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is there any roadmap for the Wine project?
      There is no roadmap any more. Wine project has moved to yearly stable release model. What ever is ready in December goes though stable release process. The old roadmaps use to make the stable release unpredictable for no gain. So wine 6.0 will be dec 2020 start of release process with release sometime in Jan 2021. You can basically just increase the years and version numbers going forwards.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is there any page detailing what is fully implemented, what is partially implemented, and what is not implemented?

This is fairly much the wine testsuite results these days. There were pages made that use to attempt to detail what was and was not implement but those turned out to be more incorrect than the test-suite information and the automated translation status extraction.

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
      Could someone explain why I should want to install a driver in wine so that "Support for installing plug-and-play drivers." would be necessary?
      Copy protection, Anti-cheat and program acceleration drivers that can all be what are called windows plug-and-play drivers. Fun of windows there are lot of drivers that end up installed in windows that have not relationship to hardware they don't appear in device manager and programs don't work without them. Winedevice program in wine was started to run these. Yes most of these drivers that have nothing todo with hardware really don't use any instructions that require them to run in kernel mode yet that exactly where you are running them under windows and does increase windows instability.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

The primary issues where Wine and Proton fall short involve heavy handed anti-cheat/drm as well as games that are installed via the Microsoft store. Compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered. Wine still falls WAAAY short outside of gaming, however. Very few, if any of the Top 100 Windows applications currently run on Wine. None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...
        I strongly agree. Wine is still too much focused in games, but still fails at the infamous DRM crap. DRM is something to hate even by consumers who purchased the games, but most games are plagued by them.

I really would love a lot if high end Electronics software works 100 percent: Altium Designer, Cadence Allegro, CAM350, UltiBoard & UltiSim, Xpedition, PADS...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          I strongly agree. Wine is still too much focused in games, but still fails at the infamous DRM crap. DRM is something to hate even by consumers who purchased the games, but most games are plagued by them.
          But this is the problem for wine. Even that consumers say they hate DRM they will not vote with their money and just simply flat out refuse to buy those products and come to wine project and say please make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

Are you able to test this two games? Alone in the dark the new nightmare and Tom's Clancy's Splinter Cell? thanks
            Is it not more simple to convert games in linux format? As example: to convert a game as Splinter cell in linux way? A program able to convert games should be useful. A sort of regenerator.
            I've got both on GOG.com (not sure why, since I don't really play horror games. Probably a "buy X, get this free" bonus in a GOG sale) but haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

Given that I don't really feel like playing all the way through two new games when I could be working on reviving several programming projects instead, is there anything specific you want me to test?

Both the Wine AppDB and ProtonDB say that Splinter Cell should work as well as on genuine Windows (needs a config tweak to un-bug shadows) as long as you don't expect to use D9VK without an additional "d3d8to9" patch.

As for Alone in the Dark, I'll try poking at it when I can spare a moment since AppDB and ProtonDB disagree greatly on whether it works. (Bear in mind that, if running it windowed is an essential part of making it work, I wouldn't notice. I run all my games windowed to keep from triggering a bug in either KWin or Plasma that jumbles up my triple-head desktop on resolution change.)

As for converting games, doing that without the original source code is sort of like un-toasting a piece of bread. A lot of information about the intent of a chunk of code is throwing out while compiling it, so you need a really smart human to reconstruct that enough to not just blindly follow the low-level instructions and it's not practical to do that kind of reverse-engineering at any kind of large scale.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 14 January 2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

oiaohm thanks!

Comment

WINE API implementation status would be nice. DirectX 5/6 support is still missing, as is support for Text functions in richedit.dll (Cisco Jabber needs this). It'd be good if there was an easier way to track these things than just using wine's appdb. Back when the API status pages existed WINE had implemented ~71% of the Windows API iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
                  None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...
                  Latest Adobe products may indeed not work, some other versions of Adobe Photoshop etc. Do work on Wine.

MS Office 2013 does actually work very stable under Wine. Office 360 can also work with some winetricks steps. Nevertheless, you have LibreOffice.. xD

Visual Studio?? That is obsolete, you now have Visual Studio Code. Native for Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                    DirectX 5/6 support is still missing,
                    Its not in fact missing. I run old dx5 and 6 games on wine. Dx1-7 are progressive upgrades. So a dx5 and 6 applications run with dx7 runtime.

as is support for Text functions in richedit.dll (Cisco Jabber needs this).
                    That would be nice but need someone todo it.

It'd be good if there was an easier way to track these things than just using wine's appdb.
                    appdb and bugzilla combinations is the best the project has come up with so far.

Back when the API status pages existed WINE had implemented ~71% of the Windows API iirc.
                    That 71% was a gross exaggeration of how much was in fact done. There is a reason why the project has gone back to the test suite only as its more truthful.

Comment

Originally posted by danger89 View Post
                      Visual Studio?? That is obsolete, you now have Visual Studio Code. Native for Linux!
                      Yeah. Where are the Visual compilers and the Windows libraries?

The Visual suite isn't obsolete. People still use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X