Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big Highlights Of Wine 5.0 From FAudio Integration To Vulkan 1.1 + A Ton Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Highlights Of Wine 5.0 From FAudio Integration To Vulkan 1.1 + A Ton Of Bug Fixes

Phoronix: The Big Highlights Of Wine 5.0 From FAudio Integration To Vulkan 1.1 + A Ton Of Bug Fixes

Wine 5.0 is still going through weekly release candidates but the stable release of Wine 5 is expected to land in the back-half of January. With that imminent release, here is a look at the big changes to find with this annual Wine update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

when a user will be able to plug a game based on microsoft runniing it without any other instance, then wine will worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      when a user will be able to plug a game based on microsoft runniing it without any other instance, then wine will worth the effort.
      For most of the indie games I play, that's already true and, for most of the rest, it's something that an older Windows version would also require, like installing a Visual C++ redistributable... and, on genuine Windows, it's not as simple as winetricks ....

(Though I will admit that it's made a little bit more inscrutable by Wine having incomplete rather than completely missing implementations of said vcredist DLLs, which prevent a clear "could not find foo.dll" message.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 12 January 2020, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For most of the indie games I play, that's already true and, for most of the rest, it's something that an older Windows version would also require, like installing a Visual C++ redistributable... and, on genuine Windows, it's not as simple as winetricks ....

(Though I will admit that it's made a little bit more inscrutable by Wine having incomplete rather than completely missing implementations of said vcredist DLLs, which prevent a clear "could not find foo.dll" message.)
        The primary issues where Wine and Proton fall short involve heavy handed anti-cheat/drm as well as games that are installed via the Microsoft store. Compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered. Wine still falls WAAAY short outside of gaming, however. Very few, if any of the Top 100 Windows applications currently run on Wine. None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Are you able to test this two games? Alone in the dark the new nightmare and Tom's Clancy's Splinter Cell? thanks
          Is it not more simple to convert games in linux format? As example: to convert a game as Splinter cell in linux way? A program able to convert games should be useful. A sort of regenerator.
          Last edited by Azrael5; 12 January 2020, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I'd really like to see the Cuda support from wine staging get promoted to whatever the main wine is called(mainline/stable?). Or any improvements on getting it setup and working so that applications that use it can properly detect it as available(not much info on how to troubleshoot that).

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
              The primary issues where Wine and Proton fall short involve heavy handed anti-cheat/drm as well as games that are installed via the Microsoft store. Compatibility is actually pretty good all things considered. Wine still falls WAAAY short outside of gaming, however. Very few, if any of the Top 100 Windows applications currently run on Wine. None of the newest Adobe products work, for example. Office doesn't work. Visual Studio doesn't work. I could go on...
              Office works but you have to stick with older version like Office 2013. I don't know does Office 2016 already work these days..

Comment

I dont think the ms store plays that much of a role. We have epic,gog, ubi store, battle net and steam. Many of which work fairly well with wine.

Of course you sometimes have copy protection and anti cheat systems that dont work, but wine is constantly evolving.

Comment

Is there any roadmap for the Wine project?
                  Is there any page detailing what is fully implemented, what is partially implemented, and what is not implemented?

Comment

Could someone explain why I should want to install a driver in wine so that "Support for installing plug-and-play drivers." would be necessary?

Comment

Working...
                    X