Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Devs Fix Several Wayland Bugs, Annoying KWin Issues Plus Easier To Toggle Night Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    I'm using KDE right now. When I see how much crashes and bugs gets fixed, KDE seems to be pretty buggy and gets matured after many years after a major release. I experienced this in 4.x and now 5.x.
    I would like to see a bigger company supporting KDE. It could be a much better desktop if they have the resources for quality control.
    Maybe they could use Mir for wayland support instead that every desktop has to invent their own wheel? It's like every desktop would invent their own X-Server, isn't it?
    There was not always only one X server.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

There was not always only one X server.
      I've never said that, but the tendency with wayland is that every desktop has its own wayland compositor. We've never had this tendency with X.

Comment

I've never said that, but the tendency with wayland is that every desktop has its own wayland compositor. We've never had this tendency with X.
        There are libraries/display servers that are desktop independent like Mir and wlroots.

If a desktop doesn't wnat to mantain its own display server, they can use those.

Comment

There are libraries/display servers that are desktop independent like Mir and wlroots.

If a desktop doesn't wnat to mantain its own display server, they can use those.
          Well, this is what I have suggested, but reality speaks a different language. With Wayland we go two steps forward and one back. We solve one problem, but introduce a new one which we didn't had with X. I don't like that...

Comment

Well, this is what I have suggested, but reality speaks a different language. With Wayland we go two steps forward and one back. We solve one problem, but introduce a new one which we didn't had with X. I don't like that...
            I don't really see a problem for anyone but desktop developers.

Comment

I don't really see a problem for anyone but desktop developers.
              We users have a problem, too. Less code quality and less development speed if everybody is inventing the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                Wake me up once they added primary display support to Plasma for Wayland.
                Without that it's practically unusable for me (with multiple displays), because some dialogs/menus will just open on some screen kwin decided is primary against my will …
                Weird, I never got annoyed with the lack of a primary display. Don't notifications pop where the notification area is? Or on the display that's currently being used? If not, I guess that's not a primary display issue you're encountering, it feels like a strawman (or XY problem).

Comment

We users have a problem, too. Less code quality and less development speed if everybody is inventing the wheel.
                  In the X server era desktop environments had separate window managers and/or compositing managers (sometimes these were unified). I don't see any benefit in that - and there really wasn't or is any. Wheels have been reinvented and will be reinvented, ever. So please stop mourning a seemingly better past that never existed.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

Weird, I never got annoyed with the lack of a primary display. Don't notifications pop where the notification area is? Or on the display that's currently being used? If not, I guess that's not a primary display issue you're encountering, it feels like a strawman (or XY problem).
                    I think placement of new windows is what they are on about.

The progress now being made on Wayland is very nice - every release its more and more not noticeable which display server you are using

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I think placement of new windows is what they are on about.

The progress now being made on Wayland is very nice - every release its more and more not noticeable which display server you are using
                      Do you think that also applies to drivers and remote desktop functionality?

Comment

Working...
                      X