Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 79 Is Running Past Firefox 72 Performance On Linux

Phoronix: Chrome 79 Is Running Past Firefox 72 Performance On Linux

While no major performance improvements were noted as part of the release notes, given this week's Firefox 72 release here are some fresh benchmarks of Firefox 70/71/72 on Ubuntu Linux benchmarked with and without WebRender being enabled. As well, these numbers show how Firefox on Linux is currently stacking up against Google Chrome 79 as its latest stable release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

after decade of rust, firefox is still the slowest browser. wake me in another decade

Comment

Another comparison I'd find interesting is memory consumption (50 or so open tabs running for a few days).
      I switched back to Firefox a few years ago because Chrome (Chromium) was much more memory hungry - no idea what it's like now, I'm happy enough with Firefox to just keep on using it

Comment

Chrome and Android should both be categorized as spyware. A Google product? No thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Chrome and Android should both be categorized as spyware. A Google product? No thanks!
          Try ungoogled-chromium!
          Google Chromium, sans integration with Google. Contribute to ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666
            after decade of rust, firefox is still the slowest browser. wake me in another decade
            Firefox is C++. They probably have more Python code than Rust atm.

Comment

Why don't the Firefox team use the blink engine and create the perfect front-end for chromium with all of their freatures inc. webassembly to make it an amazing browser. Best of both.

Comment

Originally posted by tenplus1 View Post
                Why don't the Firefox team use the blink engine and create the perfect front-end for chromium with all of their freatures inc. webassembly to make it an amazing browser. Best of both.
                oh, I don't know, probably because they already have an amazing browser...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  Which part of Firefox is currently written in Rust? CSS. What were the results of the CSS benchmark again?
                  Last edited by jacob; 09 January 2020, 05:14 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Originally posted by tenplus1 View Post
                    Then we would have an absolute monoculture. Having competition / an alternative to blink is absolutely vital for the ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X